none
Want to backup to a networked or remote drive

Question

• I am using Windows 2012 R2 Essentials

I would like to backup specific files on the server to either a networked hard drive or (much more preferably) a remote hard drive, but when I get to the Select the Backup Destination screen, the only choice it gives me is my server's hard drive with no way to "choose" anything else. 

I am sure I am just a n00b missing something, but could someone please lead me in the correct direction?

Thanks! 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, you can back up your Essentials Server to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, or eSATA. And storage connected using iSCSI.

Network location and remote location (such wireless connected) backup location is not supported, also, it is not safe as it may cause backup failure due to network problem/bandwidth/etc. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Eve,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean that a remote location is not safe, since iDrive and Mozy and Carbonite, etc are all remote location backup solutions. 

In my case, I want to backup my server to a large drive on my computer at home, which is safe and accessible over the net. 

Backing up to a local external drive seems to defeat the purpose of backing up, IMO. 

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

>a remote location is not safe
    Network connection is a necessary pre-requirement for connecting network storage. Compare with cable connected storage, it would be more safer.

If possible, I would recommend you to using the backup storage mentioned in above reply to store your server backup.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 01, 2017 5:41 AM
  • please make sure your external storage drive manufacturer is supported on computers running Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635058(v=ws.11).aspx#Anchor_2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg985413(v=ws.11).aspx

Friday, December 01, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, December 05, 2017 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:09 AM
  • There's no answer here, and your reply was like you didn't even read my question. 
    Monday, December 11, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update, your requirement is not supported by Essentials until now. I will post your suggestion/requirement to product group, and thank you again for your interest in our product. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi, you can also install Azure backup on your Windows Server Essentials server. That way your backups are in the cloud if a disaster hits your company. Here is how you do that Use Azure Backup agent to back up files and folders | Microsoft Docs. I use that for all my servers.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Migrations done the easy way, migrate from SBS 2003, 2008 or 2011 to Windows Server 2016 and Office 365

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

15 hours 25 minutes ago