Help with understanding bad-items (When exporting a mailbox to a PST) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to export a a user's mailbox from Exchange 2007, and when reviewing the export logs, it's looking like there are several thousand "bad - items" that failed to export due to:

<badItem errorCode='0x8004060c' flags='0x00000000'>

It's my understanding that this error is from when the user's mailstore reached its maximum size (the mailbox is just below 20GB). Are these "bad-items" actual emails that couldn't be moved...or are these "items" just corrupt error messages/logs/junk that resulted from the mailbox hitting the limit? Basically, I need to export all emails for this user, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing any messages.

Thanks!

Monday, June 4, 2012 4:59 PM

Answers

• On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:59:46 +0000, thekernel99 wrote:

>I'm trying to export a a user's mailbox from Exchange 2007, and when reviewing the export logs, it's looking like there are several thousand "bad - items" that failed to export due to:
    >
    ><badItem errorCode='0x8004060c' flags='0x00000000'>
    >
    >It's my understanding that this error is from when the user's mailstore reached its maximum size (the mailbox is just below 20GB). Are these "bad-items" actual emails that couldn't be moved...or are these "items" just corrupt error messages/logs/junk that resulted from the mailbox hitting the limit? Basically, I need to export all emails for this user, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing any messages.

You'll have to export the mailbox into multiple PSTs. The largest a
    unicode PST can be is 20GB, and the way a PST stores the data is less
    efficient than the way Exchange stores it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Castinlu Monday, June 18, 2012 5:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:27 AM
  • hi,

Have you try to use outlook to export?

I recommended that you should use outlook to export the mailbox to pst file. If you use the EMS to export, some message can't be moved, it will be regard as bad item. So you should try another method to export, such as outlook or other third party export tool.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

no it doesn´t concern to a full mailbox.

My experience is that uesers who have got "bad items" in their mailbox are not able to access them So in the past i decided to migrate the mailbox without bad items.

following are my thoughts:

1) You are not able to export/import mailboxes with bad items

So, you want to migrate migrate without bad items.

2) check the Exchagne 2007 Database for errors and repair the database

But its not enough to check for erros you have to repair them. so perhaps there will be dataloss for one user.

-> You have no choice repair the erros and migrate the user data.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:03 PM
  • On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:59:46 +0000, thekernel99 wrote:

>I'm trying to export a a user's mailbox from Exchange 2007, and when reviewing the export logs, it's looking like there are several thousand "bad - items" that failed to export due to:
    >
    ><badItem errorCode='0x8004060c' flags='0x00000000'>
    >
    >It's my understanding that this error is from when the user's mailstore reached its maximum size (the mailbox is just below 20GB). Are these "bad-items" actual emails that couldn't be moved...or are these "items" just corrupt error messages/logs/junk that resulted from the mailbox hitting the limit? Basically, I need to export all emails for this user, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing any messages.

You'll have to export the mailbox into multiple PSTs. The largest a
    unicode PST can be is 20GB, and the way a PST stores the data is less
    efficient than the way Exchange stores it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

if using the EMS export command a logfile is generated is it please possible that you post your logfile? I don´t think that this error occures for large mails.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

• Edited by Peddy1st Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:20 AM
  • hi,

Have you try to use outlook to export?

I recommended that you should use outlook to export the mailbox to pst file. If you use the EMS to export, some message can't be moved, it will be regard as bad item. So you should try another method to export, such as outlook or other third party export tool.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:57 AM