WSUS Installation Question on SCCM Server (Reinstall of WSUS) RRS feed

• Question

• This is an "installation" (or really reinstallation) question about WSUS and SCCM SP1 R2.  I need to upgrade WSUS from the "admin console" (SDK) installation to the full blown WSUS installation on my primary site servers.  To do this, the WSUS 3.0 SP1 installation states that you must UNINSTALL the WSUS admin console installation first and then select the full install on the next installation.

Here's the history:  Like any good SCCM architect, we installed the WSUS admin console during our original SCCM installation since it recommended doing this prior to the upgrade if you ever thought you might want to use patching in the product.  THEN, we finally got around to investigating it, and decided we did not want to seperate the WSUS installation onto another server and wanted to co-locate it on the same site servers.  Thus we have to remove the "partial" WSUS installation and install the full version.

So, here is my question:
    Will uninstalling WSUS admin console, and then reinstalling the WSUS Full install cause any issues to my SCCM primary site server?  I do not currently have a S.U.P. role defined and do not use Software Update currently.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No it wont cause any issues on the Config Mgr. server. No problems in reinstalling the WSUS.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    • Proposed as answer by John Marcum Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Beamer25 Friday, July 17, 2009 11:54 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No it wont cause any issues on the Config Mgr. server. No problems in reinstalling the WSUS.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    • Proposed as answer by John Marcum Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Beamer25 Friday, July 17, 2009 11:54 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Kent,
    I finally got my change in today - removed WSUS admin console and then installed WSUS Full and did not have any problems at all with this.  Thanks for the validation!
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:54 PM