none
auto create new user's home folder on another local partition/drive using Windows Server 2012 R2 Active Directory

Question

• hi,

is it possible to AUTO create new user's home folder (such like user's documents folder on C: ) which located on another LOCAL partition/drive (e.g : D partition) so only authenticated user can open their own folder. 

I want to implement this setting via group policy on my new active directory using Windows Server 2012 R2.

Thank you

Saleem

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

Based on my test, we could use group policy setting “Set user home folder” to achieve your needs, the setting is under Computer Configuration – Policies – Administrative Templates – System –User Profile.

Notes:

• Disable inheritance under parent folder and change the permission settings as below:
    • Keep full control permission for System, apply to this folder, subfolders and files.
    • Add read and write permission for domain users and only apply to this folder.

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:07 AM
  • hi,

William thank you so much for your kind response. I will try it first, hopefully it can achieve as expected.

every new user which logged on a PC, the system (based on AD policy) will automatically create a new private home folder at D partition or another fixed location.

I will contact you if there's another question.

Kind regards,

Saleem

Friday, May 18, 2018 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:20 AM