Problems with SCCM client instalaltion after upgrade to R2 version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Few days ago, I have upgraded SCCM 2012 Sp1+CU3 to SCCM 2012 R2. I see now manyy issies in component manager with SMS_EXECUTIVE and SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER. Reaon of this is automatically process of installation SCCM client in latest version. This same issue apppear when I trying install SCCM manually. In both cases I have got in ccmsetup.log this:

CcmCreateEmbeddedClientState. Creates the client state file, which is needed for write filter handing.
    CcmCreateEmbeddedClientStateRollback. Rolls back the action of creating the client state file.
    RegisterExtensionInfo. Registering extension servers
    WriteRegistryValues. Writing system registry values
    Could not write value SMSCFGRC to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    Rollback. Rolling back action:

Computer where I want install SCCM client, my adm account, Primary site server or NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller has full right to this registry key but log file record is always this same. 

AV and Firewall turned off. 

What next?

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Answers

• Just experienced this issue with Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite installed.  In fact it prevents write access to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls so any application that attempts to install control panel applets will fail.

Disabling "Agent uninstallation protection" under "Agent Hardening" in the client policy resolves the issue (or uninstall the Lumension agent if you know the uninstall password)

• Marked as answer by Bartas1979 Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:40 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Thank you for all answers and sorry for delay with answer. I have stil lworked on it and before I publish my answer, I want to be sure...

My problem was addictional security application installed by my colague from security department. When he has removed this s*** everything has started work fine.

Thank you very much for your help. 

• Proposed as answer by Daniel JiSun Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:21 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 7:51 AM

All replies

• That log snippet does not help to find the cause of the failure. Examine client.msi.log, search for "return value 3" - the error cause should be listed a few lines above it. Or save the log to OneDrive.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Hi Torsten,

I have checked client.msi.log and there is this same:

Note: 1: 1401 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls 3: 5 
    Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Error 1406. Could not write value SMSCFGRC to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls.  System error .  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    Error 1406. Could not write value SMSCFGRC to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls.  System error .  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

:-(

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:51 PM
  • This isn't a permissions error.

Are these new client installs?

Is it happening on multiple systems?

Have you examined that registry key on systems having issues?

How are you initiating the install?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Thank you for all answers and sorry for delay with answer. I have stil lworked on it and before I publish my answer, I want to be sure...

My problem was addictional security application installed by my colague from security department. When he has removed this s*** everything has started work fine.

Thank you very much for your help. 

• Proposed as answer by Daniel JiSun Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:21 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Just experienced this issue with Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite installed.  In fact it prevents write access to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls so any application that attempts to install control panel applets will fail.

Disabling "Agent uninstallation protection" under "Agent Hardening" in the client policy resolves the issue (or uninstall the Lumension agent if you know the uninstall password)

• Marked as answer by Bartas1979 Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:40 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Exacly!!! 
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:40 AM