SCCM 2012 R2 to SCCM 1511 - side by side RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

tried to use this guide: https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-migration/

to make a side by side upgrade. (I want to make a side by side upgrade, because I want to reconfigure the disk layout...) Now I stuck where I need to migrate the DP. The Old one is ineligible for upgrade. I checked the log migmctrl.log and there is written:

Detected no secondary site is installed on server.domain.local
     Detected additional roles is installed on server.domain.local
     The DP server.domain.local is ineligible for upgrade.

Ok... so additional roles are the problem? So which additional roles? PXE is not active...

Thanks!

• Edited by r33n Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:56 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:01 AM

Answers

• So... ok I see: I made a new install with new side code on a new server. I migrated all groups, applications and so on. Now I need to migrate the DP or not? That would be a side by side migration or not?

Edit: Stop, I got it: There is no need for a DP migration, because there is no stand alone DP?

exactly... The DP migration scenario is simply to prevent large amounts of data from traversing the WAN. In your case this is not needed. Just add your packages to the new DP

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:05 PM

All replies

• Ok... so additional roles are the problem? So which additional roles? PXE is not active...

Which are installed on that machine?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Component Server

Distribution Point

Management point and so on... everything which is needed for a single side server. Can I find somewhere what is allowed and what not?

• Edited by r33n Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:58 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:57 AM
  • The only two thing "which is needed" on a DP is the DP role. As a matter fact placing the MP on them is generally not a good idea in 2012.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Well its just a small enviroment with less than 200 clients. So I think all needed roles on one server should be fine for cm.

So, what could prevent my migration?

Installed is:

• Application Catalog web service point
    • Application Catalog website point
    • Endpoint Protection point
    • Enrollment point
    • Reporting services point
    • Component server
    • Software update point
    • Site database server
    • Site server
    • Site system
    • Management point
    • Distribution point

The other way round: What is not allowed if I want to migrate?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Migrating distribution points means a server that is a remote DP moves over from the old environment to the new environment. A "DP" and the "primary site server" which happens to also hold the DP role are two different things.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:53 PM
  • So... ok I see: I made a new install with new side code on a new server. I migrated all groups, applications and so on. Now I need to migrate the DP or not? That would be a side by side migration or not?

Edit: Stop, I got it: There is no need for a DP migration, because there is no stand alone DP?

• Edited by r33n Friday, January 29, 2016 7:55 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:53 AM

exactly... The DP migration scenario is simply to prevent large amounts of data from traversing the WAN. In your case this is not needed. Just add your packages to the new DP

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:05 PM