none
You require permission from <your userid> to make changes to this file--Really????? RRS feed

• Question

• I decided to delete some old Windows installations from my machine.  Windows.old, Windows.000, etc.  Easy peasy, right?

Not!!!!  Apparently, I have to give MYSELF permission to delete the folders and files!!!

And, YES--I am an administrator, using an administrator account.  Since I have administrator level access, I should be able to perform administrative functions--right?

Unless I DON"T happen to own the folders and/files--right? Then the administrator level access becomes null and void--right?

Even with the tool that allows one to "TAKE OWNERSHIP" of a folder--it seems as though this will only give ownership at the CURRENT level.  Any subordinate folders remain unchanged.  (You will have to take ownership of every sub-folder, that falls under the folder that you want to delete!  This MIGHT be a bit inconvenient--when you're faced with having to take ownership of 2,000+ folders and files!!!)

I wonder if there is a tool or application that will allow one to TAKE OWNERSHIP, not just of the CURRENT folder--but ALL sub-folders and files that are subordinate to the current folder?

Monday, October 24, 2016 10:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried to do [Disk Cleanup] >  [Clean up system files]?

Right-click on "C" drive > Properties > [Disk Cleanup]

and then click [Clean up system files]

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Nuttall Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:19 AM
  • I don't think that this would have accomplished my goal of removing traces of old windows' installations.

I have already removed the folders and files that I wanted to remove, basically, folder-by-folder.

I was just looking to see if there were other, more stream-lined method(s) of "taking ownership" of  a folder  that includes (not assumes) its SUB folders--all in ONE shot.

Thanks, anyhoo!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 9:58 AM
  • actually what he has said is exactly what you were looking for....it was originally implemented in Vista...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/930527 <-- the article in question.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:45 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? How about the solution we have provided? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:31 AM