Compatibility View Settings RRS feed

• General discussion

• Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has decided that Compatibility View is to be treated as Browsing History and therefore cleared on closure of the current Window.  Wonderful stuff!  We deal with lots of sites that are developed for IE7 such as Banks and Financial organizations etc and this has really become a royal pain in the nether regions for IT staff.  Even though we have applied a GPO, IE does not retain the list of sites.  Therefore we have to explain to users about how to set the compatibility view, and believe me users do not retain the information.

Anyone else come across this wonderful experience?

Anyone know of a way around this other than using Firefox?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:49 PM

All replies

• Even though we have applied a GPO, IE does not retain the list of sites.

Have you looked at Enterprise mode for IE11 users?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has decided that Compatibility View is to be treated as Browsing History and therefore cleared on closure of the current Window.  Wonderful stuff!  We deal with lots of sites that are developed for IE7 such as Banks and Financial organizations etc and this has really become a royal pain in the nether regions for IT staff.  Even though we have applied a GPO, IE does not retain the list of sites.  Therefore we have to explain to users about how to set the compatibility view, and believe me users do not retain the information.

CV (the list of sites) can be configured and deployed via Group Policy (classic templates), or you can do it using GP Preferences.

I've not heard of the "cleared on closure of current window" issue, and I doubt that is due to any infinite wisdom at all, rather, it sound slike a fault in your environment - it certainly doesn't happen in mine.

If it was a common occurrence, I'd be seeing a lot of chatter about it in the GP forum here on TechNet (and there is no such chatter about this topic) (although lots of other chatter about IE settings management there)

As for Enterprise Mode, list management with Enterprise Mode is no better and no worse, when it comes to deploying/applying lists, and managing the local per-user site list vs. a centrally-defined list.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has decided that Compatibility View is to be treated as Browsing History and therefore cleared on closure of the current window.

Windows version? IE version?

Any chance InPrivate Browsing mode is enabled by default?

Is the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option enabled?

Any chance you're inadvertently executing keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Delete?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:08 PM