none
How to tell if a resource is part of a resource pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way identifiying resources that are not part of a resource pool and are in fact attached to a project file rather than the resource pool?

Regards

Steve

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve

In Resource Sheet View (where all resources are listed) only, there will be an indicator for a local resouce.

Local Resources are those resources who are not included in Resource Pool.

Ensure that you open MSP in connected mode.

Manish

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve

In Resource Sheet View (where all resources are listed) only, there will be an indicator for a local resouce.

Local Resources are those resources who are not included in Resource Pool.

Ensure that you open MSP in connected mode.

Manish

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:10 AM
  • In the Resource Sheet View, Entry Table, insert the "Project" column. It tells you where the resource lives.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Manish,

Thank-you, its easy when you know how!!

Regards

Steve

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Trevor,

Thank-you also, very helpful reply

Regards

Steve

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:59 AM
  • A Generic Resource is identified by the following symbol:   double heads, where one of it is faded.

Local resource is a resource that is added to a project plan and not pulled from the Enterprise Resource Pool, will be displayed with icon in Resource Sheet view.

Enterprise Resource won't have any icon associated with it.

Sapna S

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Funny, all the replies you got suppose you are running Project Server and an Enterprise resource pool - whereas from other posts I have the impression you aren't

Now for the bad news - if you aren't in a Server environment but just running a "nomal" resoruce pool... your question is impossible to solve because when a file is linked to a resoruce pool the latter picks up every resource form the sharer file! In fact, ther are no "local" resources; eveyone "resides" in the Pool!

So in this environment, when you show the Project column in any resoruce view, all resources will show the name of the resoruce pool, not the file where they "originated".

Greetings,

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Thanks, yes you are correct i am not in a server enviroment. Are you saying the resources on the project files are adopted by the resource pool, i.e. if the original file with a local resource was deleted would that resource be deleted also or would i now have that resource on the resource pool? I had previously had to run seven different global location plans using a copy of the same resource pool attached to each. I had made the assumption that when i attached all these files to a single resource pool they would link in no problem as the resource names are identical? I would have assumed i would have multiple resources of the same name if this was not true?
    Monday, April 23, 2012 8:32 PM