Separate WFE from Service Applications (New Installation) RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all, this is my first time using multiple SharePoint servers. Before I have my WFE and Service Apps in one server.

This time I'm trying to have a server for my WFE and separate server for my service Applications.

SO I started the process
    1. Installed Server1 (WFE)
    2. Installed Server2 (Service Apps) and connected to existing farm.

Now I open Central Admin from Server2 it directs me to Server1 which I think is correct? Now when I try to create a service application it doesn't give me an option If I want it on Server2. It defaults on server1.. Is there something Im doing wrong or understanding incorrectly ?

Thanks!

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:30 PM

All replies

• HI,please find the answers as below.

1. Now I open Central Admin from Server2 it directs me to Server1 which I think is correct?

Its because,firstly You installed the share point in this and enabled to host the central admin from this server.

1. Now when I try to create a service application it doesn't give me an option If I want it on Server2

services applications will be created on farm level.it will not give any server name while creating. Its we need to start the service on specific server if we want that service to consume by that server.

Anil Avula[MCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP,MCSM] See Me At: http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/

Friday, October 31, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Don't worry about central admin . your thought was wright :)

in sharepoint service application will be load balanced automatically. The only thing you can do is , you can stop and start whereever you want.

don't stop the sharepoint foundation webapplication service.

Let us know if you have any issues ...

Subhash

• Proposed as answer by Kris_sp2013 Friday, October 31, 2014 11:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Trevor SewardMVP Monday, November 10, 2014 8:48 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2014 11:09 AM
  • I will try both of your suggestions now. I'll keep everyone posted and should have an answer next week Tuesday

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

Friday, October 31, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Just an update I'm having problems with the Distributed Cache at the moment.. Problem located here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/96319bf9-0d35-4f68-aa8a-26a2bcd18494/distributed-cache-on-2nd-server-not-starting?forum=sharepointadmin#cecfb84f-58cd-48a5-a6e0-a16eedfe51d9 as soon as that's fix I'll resume with this

Thanks

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Update I was able to separate most of the service apps to service 2.

However I'm having problems with search app. It keeps starting on Server 1.
    Currently I only want Server 1 to run Distributed cache and User Profile

When I try to stop the search service in Server 1 I keep getting the error below

Already followed this http://blogs.msmvps.com/tech-steps/2013/10/25/sharepoint-2010-search-server-removing-the-search-service-from-the-server-must-be-done-within-the-context-of-a-search-service-application/ (translated in english of course)

But no luck.

On server 2 when I try to start

Please help. Thanks in advance

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Good morning all, just trying to bump this post

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Hi ,

When I try to stop the search service in a SharePoint server, the same message dialogs popup, I haven't tested, but you can check the following article about how to modify the search topology, see if it could help.

http://blog.fpweb.net/modify-search-topology-in-sharepoint-server-2013/#.VGMuRPmUeSk

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:06 AM
  • That didn't help :( Still the same.... Any other suggestions? Kindly

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:22 PM