Weird characters in one specific sender for 1 of my users. RRS feed

• Question

• My user is getting strange arrow characters in the signature of one of our clients. Other users from this client do not have this issue for her. I have tried changing the Unicode, repairing office, and trying outlook.exe /cleanviews with no luck. I can't find much about an issue like this since its so specific besides changing Unicode. When she signs into the OWA the signature is completely fine, as well, when she forwards the emails (or I receive them from this client user myself) the signature is completely normal. I created her a new profile in Outlook and the issue persisted. The only thing I have not done yet is uninstall her current 2016 product and install the ProPlus 2019 version we're slowly moving to. I plan on doing this eventually but she's been very busy lately so Repairing and the other troubleshooting was really all I could do right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I appreciate the help.

Apparently I can't post the screenshot she sent me..................... so I uploaded it as my avatar. I guess I will try posting the image later.

Friday, April 26, 2019 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicholas Rhoades,

The avatar is too small to check the details. If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here. Please remember to remove all your personal information like email address or company information before posting.

Have you tried recreating the signature? 

What’s the format of the email? HTML? We can switch to Rich Text.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

>>Other users from this client do not have this issue for her.

Do you mean that other windows users doesn’t have such a issue?

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, April 29, 2019 2:38 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 2:37 AM
  • Perry,

I appreciate the response. You can get to the screenshot here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahd_dpxOFdmtaUCOrqEEwF8VqJc until I have my account Verified. We usually block OneDrive but we must have recently opened up or my permissions changed so I was able to upload it. 

Unfortunately I cannot recreate the signature since this is a client of ours sending the email to my end user. 

I believe the email is in HTML format but I will have to check with my end user when she gets into the office today if she's at this location.

I have not thought about safe mode unfortunately. I always miss one thing. I will try that as well. 

My other end users do not have this issue including myself since I receive emails from this client as well. I will try safe mode and check the formatting again to confirm what the email is formatted in and will update once 

Monday, April 29, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:47 PM
  • My account is verified and I have uploaded the picture to this thread.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

I concluded this issue: one client sends out many emails with this signature but the display issue only occurs to this particular user. Hope I didn't misunderstand.

I searched more about this. I've noticed that you changed encoding before. Normally, we choose UTF-8 or corresponding language.

In addition, are there any anti-virus software running on this PC? To eliminate whether it was related with their intergration into Outlook client, please temporarily close them to check the results.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Yeah that is the issue. Client X sends mail to multiple end users at my company and my internal user Y is the only one having an issue. 

I haven't been able to get with my user just yet to test anything or provide additional information. I will be back in our secondary location tomorrow and things are starting to slow down so I should be able to get with her then to continue troubleshooting. I will update once I can.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:11 PM
  • No problem

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:27 AM