Moving items from sub-folder to inbox are disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, 

We have exchange 2010 and we are having issue when user move item from sub-folder to inbox then the item just disappears. I have tested this at-least 3 mailboxes. 

If i do this in outlook then it disappears right away. if i do this in OWA then it disappears in 10 seconds.  Sometimes it shows up in deleted folder but most of the time it doesn't but it always shows up in "recover deleted item" in outlook.  

Please advise how to find what's going on. thanks 

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:13 AM

Answers

• 1. Check for Server Side Rules

2. Test this with Outlook closed and reproducing the issue just with OWA Happen. if this doesn't happen with Outlook closed, then it is an issue on your Outlook which you need to investigate

3. are the mails disappearning when you move emails from inbox to specific sub-folder or is that happening when you move email from inbox to all sub-folders ?

4. Check whethere is there is a Managed Folder Mailbox Policy applied to that specific folder.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:34 PM

All replies

• 1. Check for Server Side Rules

2. Test this with Outlook closed and reproducing the issue just with OWA Happen. if this doesn't happen with Outlook closed, then it is an issue on your Outlook which you need to investigate

3. are the mails disappearning when you move emails from inbox to specific sub-folder or is that happening when you move email from inbox to all sub-folders ?

4. Check whethere is there is a Managed Folder Mailbox Policy applied to that specific folder.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Hi Pavan, Thank you for your help. 

As you suggested i tested with outlook closed and reproducing the issue in just OWA then it didn't happen.  So this mean the issue was with outlook but it was the with multiple users so multiple outlooks. I have deleted the outlook profile/ost and recreated them for each users after that i did test again in outlook and this time it didn't deleted email from inbox.  Recreating the OST seems to fix the issue but i am still not sure why this happened to multiple users. 

How can i check Managed Folder Mailbox Policy? 

I would like find out why this happened and how can prevent this happening again in the future. 

Friday, January 3, 2014 1:53 AM
  • I don't think it is a Managed Folder Mailbox Policy which is doing this. We have almost ruled out that the issue is specific to Client but not Server. If you want to check the Managed Folder Mailbox Policy for a mailbox run the command below:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -Server ServerName |?{$_.ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy -ne $Null}

The above command will help us get all the mailboxes where there is a ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy Applied

To Get the ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy for a Specific Mailbox Run the command below:

Get-Mailbox MailboxName | Fl Name,DisplayName,ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy

If Deleting the outlook profile/ost fixed the issue, then it might have been most likely an issue with corrupted outlook rule. if you want to do it for all the mailboxes across org, i would suggest you force that via group policy using a PRF File.

Friday, January 3, 2014 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

Since the issue cannot be reproduced in OWA and it can be resolved by re-creating Outlook profiles, it indicates that these mailboxes in Exchange server are configured properly, including managed folder mailbox policies. Additionally, the problematic users are not all users in Exchange environment but several of them.

In my opinion, it may be some operations or third-party add-ins in the local machine that caused the .ost files corrupted. I’d like to confirm whether there are some related policies deployed in your organization before the issue occurs, which may also cause such issue.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 3, 2014 7:51 AM