Outlook is substituting an email address with another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ok, this seems weird to me and don't even know how to go about searching for an answer.  I have three users experiencing this issue and it is:

They create a new email and in the To: field they put jdoe@somedomain.com.  They send the message and immediately receive an undeliverable response message from my Exchange server.  The undeliverable message states that johndoe@mydomain.com is an invalid email address, which it is.  They are trying to send an email to an external party but Outlook is somehow changing the recipient email address to an internal email address.

This is specific to only a handful of external recipients.

One of my users has tried it on two different computers and only experiences the issue on one computer.  So it must be client related but I'm just not sure how Outlook would do this?

I was troubleshooting with one user and she was picking the destination email address from the recently used addresses, so I had her delete that entry and retype it manually but received the same result. 

I will have her check her Contacts to make sure she hasn't created a contact for this user but I doubt that is the case.  These contacts have never had accounts on our network and even if they had, we would use the first initial-last name construct for our email addresses, not fullname.

Any thoughts?

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Given this situation, it is suggested to start Outlook in online mode and test again.

Besides, please try to empty Auto-complete list via File > Options > Mail > Send messages then see if there is any difference.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:31 AM