Some improvement wishes for "Services" console RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, it would be nice if "service name" can be displayed.  Currently, only "display name" is shown.  For IT admins working for international firms, it's a nightmare to remember different translated (display) names for services.  But "service names" are unique throughout languages.

It would also be nice to have "search" function working on the names, something like what we have in Control Panel > Program window where it's now possible to find installed programs using search.  This was not possible in previous versions of Windows and it's a great improvement.

Hope this will be implemented in the next version.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Horinius,

I recommend you post this question in "General Windows Development Issues" forum. Here is link for your convenience:

General Windows Development Issues
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/threads

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:13 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:21 AM

All replies

• Yep, it could also give you access to all the services, not just the ones they think you should have access to.

For instance, we can't do anything to the parport service, even if we don't have a parallel port.

Also, we can't uninstall or remove a service completely, which sucks when cleaning up behind bad software or a virus.

Finally, the person who wrote the service descriptions is the most ambiguous understated person ever. 'Starts a network connection'... well so does Internet Explorer!

Finally, it should also give an interface to terminate a service, since we can't do it through task manager. This of course would involve designing the OS so that all critical services actually ran their own process, and since that didn't occur any time in the last 15 years I don't expect it soon.

Just trying to get value-for-money for the $20,000 worth of your products I support...
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward this issue to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Thanks to your answers of both of you.

"Service console" is opened through the services.msc file.  This msc file should be programmable.  I'm also a developer besides being an admin.  I wonder if the source code to such msc file is available to people outside Microsoft.  It would be nice if the answer is "yes" as I could do a quick change to it so that "service name" is displayed and deployed such msc file within my company.

It doesn't matter if the answer is "no" :)

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response.

If you think the msc file can be customized with programing and you would confirm this or try it, please also go to our MSDN forum for help:

Microsoft Developer Network

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Sabrina.

Which MSDN forum is the most suitable one?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Hi Horinius,

I recommend you post this question in "General Windows Development Issues" forum. Here is link for your convenience:

General Windows Development Issues
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/threads

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:13 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:21 AM