Windows 7 xp mode screen saver issue RRS feed

• Question

• When I am running Virtual apps on the windows 7 host from the XP client they work pretty good until the screen saver kicks in on the XP guest.  Once it kicks in the application is still running, but I cannot get to it.  I only see the desktop of the VM.  Noting I do can bring the  desktop back to me.  MAYBE if I can send a CTRL+ALT+Delete to the VM and the password I could get back to my app....The screen saver cannot be disabled because it is part of the domain policy(on the XP VM not the Windows 7 host) and it is password protected.  Does anyone have a workaround or is this a feature of windows 7 and virtual apps? Currently the only way for me to get back into the app is to open the VM and force the app to close then reopen the app from windows 7.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:25 AM

Answers

• Couple of workarounds
    1) Kill VMSAL.exe and launch the app again (you can have a script on desktop which does this)
    2) Press Ctrl+Alt+End and enter the password

Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    • Proposed as answer by Praveen-MSFT Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by JS_Brady Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:06 PM

All replies

• Couple of workarounds
    1) Kill VMSAL.exe and launch the app again (you can have a script on desktop which does this)
    2) Press Ctrl+Alt+End and enter the password

Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    • Proposed as answer by Praveen-MSFT Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by JS_Brady Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:06 PM
  • The above two solutions will work esp. the first one.  I have discovered that the main problemwith virtual apps running on a multi monitor configuration is that if the app is on the second display the logon prompt will never appear on the second display, but only the primary (Where you cannot see it.)  IF you have multiple Virtual apps running on more than one display and you are luck enough to have one on you primary screen you will see the prompt on that one screen. 
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:20 PM