none
Tables Truncated RRS feed

• Question

• I worked hard to prevent the table of examples in this article being truncated:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5392.active-directory-ldap-syntax-filters-en-us.aspx#Examples

I hard coded <br /> tags (carriage returns) in the HTML so the cells word wrap conveniently and not get cut off. The table is great for me (IE 9, 1366 x 768 resolution), but others report the table is truncated. Is there something users can do so they can see all of the cells? Or is there something I can do to squish the table further so everyone can read it? Too bad the Wiki doesn't allow the articles to use the full width of the display.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:19 PM

Answers

• I created the table in HTML in notepad, making it as clean as possible, then pasted in the HTML editor. I could not duplicate the experience where the table was cut off, even in IE 8. I since have modified the table to add more <br> tags to wrap the lines in the cells better. I don't know if that helped, as I don't have the problem.

Making the table an image is an option, but then no one could edit the table, which really is the point of a Wiki.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:05 AM

All replies

• I experimented with screen resolution in IE 9, but it made no difference for me, even at 800 x 600 the table is not truncated. In part, here is what I see in IE 9:

Someone using IE 8 sees this:

Is the only solution to move the <br /> tags in the table to shorten the lines further?

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:52 PM
  • You could make a screenshot and upload the image.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the mainquestion of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:33 PM
  • I experimented with screen resolution in IE 9, but it made no difference for me, even at 800 x 600 the table is not truncated. In part, here is what I see in IE 9:

Someone using IE 8 sees this:

Is the only solution to move the <br /> tags in the table to shorten the lines further?

Yes, the other solution has been to use a specific table HTML code (someone wrote a Wiki article on this) or to make the table from scratch in the Wiki. Did you paste the table in?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:49 PM
    Owner
  • I created the table in HTML in notepad, making it as clean as possible, then pasted in the HTML editor. I could not duplicate the experience where the table was cut off, even in IE 8. I since have modified the table to add more <br> tags to wrap the lines in the cells better. I don't know if that helped, as I don't have the problem.

Making the table an image is an option, but then no one could edit the table, which really is the point of a Wiki.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Making the table an image is an option, but then no one could edit the table, which really is the point of a Wiki.

I agree with Richard.
    Using table which made in image is not good solution as "Wiki".

However, It's also true that there is no good way, I think.
    ...It's not easy...

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Like you mentioned, right now the best option is to make the table cleanly, in Notepad or directly in the Wiki.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:09 AM
    Owner
  • You could upload the image, and create a link, leading just to the table (like in another wiki) where people could edit it, some sort of a workaround to make one of the wikis look good.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the mainquestion of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:30 AM