none
How do you assing individual tasks multiple resources, ie a task with a worker and instrument associated with it? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Basically, I want to include in my ever developing schedule more resources to one individual task. Now the format is:

- Task 1, resource field: Resource A

I want to go to:

- Task 1, resource field: Resource A, resource field 2: Instrument A.

I know in the resource view you can change the type of resource you are using so I assume potentially project can assign multiple resources to one task. The reason for doing this is that possibly another task in parallel, needs the only instrument available, and I want to see if the instrument is being overused.

Is this possible in MS Project 2010? How do I go about it? I assume if someone could direct me to assigning multiple resources to one task I could probably figure the rest out.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Stefano Gatti

Stef

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:52 PM

Answers

• There is only one resource field, but you can use it to assign multiple resources to a task. There are various ways of doing this:

• In the gantt view, select the first resource, then type "," (comma) and you'll be able to select a subsequent resource
    • Double click on the task to open the Task Details dialogue, and look at the Resources tab. You've got a table there that you can put muptiple resources into for any given task.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi all,

Sorry but I definitely disagree with the concept that instrument is a material resoruce. It s well and duly a work resource. Of course it performs work: some tasks are fully done (worked on) by instruments: don't they "work" on the task then?

Moreover, it indeed isn't consumed so it is not a material resource.

And as a work resource, ypu can check overallocation and even do resoruce leveling (I think that's what the original poster is heading towards)

So what we should have explained to him is that he has to put effort driven off before allocating the extra work resource, and all his quesions would have been answered.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Stef,

I'm not sure if you just want to know how to assign multiple resources on a task, if that is the case you can assign Task 1 with Res A, Res B and Instrument Res.which you would have made as Material Resource

NOTE -The Max. Units field is not available for material resources because material resources are not associated with calendars or other indications of availability. The amount of material used depends on the specific assignment the material is assigned to and is set with the assignment units. So you can't show a Material Resource as overloaded.

So, to show overallocation you need to define Instrument as Work resource rather than a Material.

Refer - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/specify-resource-availability-HP045295534.aspx

http://ntrajkovski.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/different-resources-types-in-ms-project-2010-and-what-do-you-have-to-know-about-them/

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:23 PM
  • There is only one resource field, but you can use it to assign multiple resources to a task. There are various ways of doing this:

• In the gantt view, select the first resource, then type "," (comma) and you'll be able to select a subsequent resource
    • Double click on the task to open the Task Details dialogue, and look at the Resources tab. You've got a table there that you can put muptiple resources into for any given task.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hello Stefano,

>> I want to see if the instrument is being overused.

Sorry, I believe you can't see by using Project. Instrument does not produce any work on the task and it is not consumed. So it is not a work resource or a material resource. It can be assigned as a cost resource if there is a cost associated with it. I would use task notes or attach an Excel sheet to track the use of such equipment.

Regards.

Pls also see the following threads for further insight:

http://www.msofficeforums.com/project/5143-how-enter-equipment-resources.html

http://www.microsoft-project-answers.com/microsoft/Project/31437117/adding-equipment.aspx

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:03 PM Added links...
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi all,

Sorry but I definitely disagree with the concept that instrument is a material resoruce. It s well and duly a work resource. Of course it performs work: some tasks are fully done (worked on) by instruments: don't they "work" on the task then?

Moreover, it indeed isn't consumed so it is not a material resource.

And as a work resource, ypu can check overallocation and even do resoruce leveling (I think that's what the original poster is heading towards)

So what we should have explained to him is that he has to put effort driven off before allocating the extra work resource, and all his quesions would have been answered.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I agree with Jan (it's the safest thing to do).

Lots of resources who are not people are best considered to be Work type resources.

Resources such as machines, instruments, test jigs and even a space on the floor can be considered to be work type resources, and they do work.
    Basically, anything which costs by the hour or which can be over-allocated/levelled.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Nicely put, Trevor.

The problem is in the name "Material". I recall that when they were introduced, the marketing leaflet called them "consumable" which is much clearer. Oh well.

Greetings,

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:57 AM
  • >> Of course it performs work: some tasks are fully done (worked on) by instruments: don't they "work" on the task then?

Jan,

Thank you for your comment. I can agree only if a non-people work resource drives the task's duration as in that CPU example: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/1318dce0-2a27-418f-a40b-40f7d3b3c32c

IMO, it all depends what the instrument is but I do not think this is the case with Stef's task. 

Regards.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

In the thread you refer to Dale does not make the exception you want to make, to him as to me tools are work resources, full stop. People or not people is irrelevant, either resources are consumed ("material" or "cost") or they are used ("Work"). If you use a resource's TIME they are work resources.

Whether or not they influence duration or schedule depends on their parameters such as units and especially max units.

Greetings,

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:18 PM
  • With all due respect;

I am sorry I strongly disagree with you and Trevor. I do not need an exception to prove my point. It is sad to say but I see no benefit in discussing that subject here any further. 

Regards. 

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:52 AM
  • I see you've gotten some bad and good advice in this thread. You defintely want to model equipment that you use, but you do not consume as a work resource. However, that is not your original question. The two correct ways to assign multiple resources to a task:

Use the task entry form: Apply the Gantt chart veiw, click the view tab and select Details checkbox in the Split View section. This is the only view in Project where you can control every aspect of an assignment.

Use the Assign Resources dialog: Click the Resource tab and click Assign Resources. This also allows you to assign multiple resources and control their percent unit on the assignment.

The worst way to assign resources is to use the resource field in any view. That method is for people who don't know how to schedule and want to make a nice list.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:10 AM
  • With all respect to Jan, Trevor and Ismet - User's question doesn't adequately clarified if he has used instrument as material or work, so all of us answered based on our individual understanding of the question. We all are on same page, as we all suggested him to make instrument a work resource to track over allocations. Assuming that user treated instrument as material resource Ismet suggested to track it through EXL as project doesn't provide such option.

Its always good to have various ideas coming from experts and discussions always maintain its zing:)

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks to everyone.

1) I wanted to assign multiple resources that are work resources to one task.

ie 1 human work resource, and 1 work resource which is an instrument (it's not a material resource as it's never used up, but just reused on other tasks or parallel projects.). The reason for this is to determine the dependencies of projects, and/or to create dependencies. However, thinking about it may just be easier to beforehand determine the task dependencies, rather than adding a second layer of resource variables. Which leads me to my second point 2). 

2) My problem is that I am afraid of implementing all these suggestions, as the project is already quite complicated. So, unfortunately I have not implemented anything you guys so helpfully gave me, for this I wanted to say sorry to everyone, as you guys seem to have put a lot of effort to write your suggestions up. 

Thanks everyone. I tried to mark the answers I thought were best at answering my questions. Hopefully I'll come back to this thread when/if I actually decide to go through with this.

Greetings,

Stef

Stef

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Thanks Stef for providing insight on how you are using "instrument" in your schedule. If its been used as Work resource then surely project will calculate overallocation for it based on the usage shown/added on the parallel tasks.

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I can't resist adding that ever since Project was invented, there has been no way to tie two resources together.  You cannot tie Reaource A with an instrument he has to use.  If you resource level, you could end up with the human resources having done their work leaving the instrument to play on its own! If that's what you intended, you're out of luck, and the only work around I know is to define Resource A and the instrument as one resource.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Well said Mike :)

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi Mike and all,

Sorry that I have to complete this information.

Leveling CAN keep the two resources together - it has an option "Level individual assignments on a task" and when you turn that OFF Leveling will keep the two resources together.

It is, however, the ONLY way to keep resources together in Project.

I have an article on this on my website.

Greetings,

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:53 PM