Some gadgets disappear when put on desktop in Win7 (but not all) RRS feed

• Question

• I updated my Win7-64 system 2013-11-12, the day after patch Tuesday. Now one of my gadgets does not appear on the desktop, another appears as unformatted text, and a third appears just fine.

The gadgets show up fine in the palette that appears when I select Gadgets from the Desktop context menu, so Sidebar is working.

When I move the Clock to the Desktop, it disappears. When I move the CPU Meter to the Desktop, I get unformatted text. When I move the Calendar to the Desktop, it functions perfectly.

When I switch users, the gadgets show up fine on the Desktop.

I have looked at the previous question threads, and they do not address my problem. Nonetheless I have tried various solutions.

I turned off the gadget feature in the Programs function of the Control Panel. I restarted and turned the feature back on. Same behavior.

I turned UAC on. Same behavior.

I turned UAC off. Same behavior.

I changed the name of the 'C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar' to 'xWindows Sidebar' and forced Windows to created a new Windows Sidebar folder. Where the old folder only showed the three gadgets, the new folder showed the normal stock gadgets. So I know the folder really was reconstituted. Same behavior.

With the new folder installed, I tried the off/on maneuver again. Same behavior.

I tried SFC /scannow. It found no corrupt folders.

I downloaded and installed Malware Bytes. It found no malware on quick and full scans.

MSE also found no malware.

I looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Compatibility. There was no "Settings" key. I added one and created the recommended DWORD. Same behavior.

Before I create a new User and transfer all my files to it, is there an answer as to why this user is doing this? Is there come way to fix it?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:21 PM

Answers

• If you have updated to IE 11 and you have set the text size  to anything but 100%, this will occur.

It is a bug in IE 11.

Text size is set in Control Panel>Display
    • Edited by Lead3 Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by 20yearsWindows Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:36 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:17 AM

All replies

• If you have updated to IE 11 and you have set the text size  to anything but 100%, this will occur.

It is a bug in IE 11.

Text size is set in Control Panel>Display
    • Edited by Lead3 Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by 20yearsWindows Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:36 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Bingo!

That's exactly what happened. I resized my text and all the clocks I had put on the desktop were there.

But sad. I need the larger text to read stuff, and from past experience I'm not sure I can uninstall IE 11.

Golly! I hate this tiny text.

But I thank you so very much. You solved the mystery.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:36 AM
  • And I have a fix.

Because Internet Explorer 11 is installed as an update, you can find it under Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates. Scroll down to find Microsoft Windows. On my list Internet Explorer 11 was at the top.

I simply clicked on it to uninstall IE11, and P&F did so. I was asked to restart my machine, and did so. 

When it came back up, I had IE10 again.

So then I increased the font size back to Medium 125%, and there was my Clock, still there. And all of my text was readable again.

Search engines are well and good, but you must know where to look. So, Lead3, I thank you again.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:13 AM
  • You're most welcome.

I reverted back to IE 10 also but for other reasons.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:23 AM
  • I had same problem.  Before you try any of the fixes on this site, scan for viruses and or malware. I tried all the fixes on this site. the only one that did work was to make a new user account. When gadgets worked in new user account I went back to admin account and installed malware scanner. Found and removed malware.  TA DAA.  All gadgets work again.  Now I can't delete new user profile. but I will live with it.
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:03 PM