none
Vmware player + win 10 creators update installation problem -> black screen of death after the 30% mark after first reboot

Question

• Hi

I'm trying to upgrade, my pc has been upgraded without a problem. but my virtual machines won't finish the update

i'm using vmware player 7x and this is what happens:

-download within old win10 works

-install pre within old win10 works

-reboot 1 to blue progress screen works

-around the 30% marker the screen goes black, the hard drive is still rattling.

-screen stays black even after hard drive activity dies down about 30 mins later

-waiting longer doesn't do anything

-force reboot the vm win10 starts booting then goes black again

anybody have any idea what goes wrong or how i can fix this? or is this a known issue which will still be fixed?

this is the first update which does this to my vm's since i've started using the around the win 7 launch i guess

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Not had any issues on VMware Workstation Player 12. Any reason you have not updated?
    Monday, April 10, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Hi herewegoagain3245,

"around the 30% marker the screen goes black, the hard drive is still rattling."
    There should be a compatibility issue. Some driver is not compatile as a result the upgrade will fail during that process.

Please update the Vmware to the latest version then check the symptom again.

Considering you are using a third party virtual software, it is recommended to ask for help from the third party support. They are more familair with their product and they may have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:00 AM
  • i'll have a go at that then guess vmware discontinued the player line and intergrated that into workstation
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:52 AM
  • i'll have a go at that then guess vmware discontinued the player line and intergrated that into workstation

VMware made the version number the same as Workstations or jumped Player from version 7 to version 12. At the same time its name became Workstation Player.

It is exactly the same as 7 as far as look as feel and usability.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:57 PM
  • -waiting longer doesn't do anything

What do you try in the meantime?   E.g. I think the "screen goes black" may be normal--just some kind of "screensaver" idiocy.  I have my Power Options set to Hibernate instead of Sleep to give myself more options for dealing with this sort of thing.

-force reboot the vm win10 starts booting then goes black again

Could you check some logs before then?  E.g. to find out what it was doing last?  What I have that helps for this scenario is a boot menu via:   bcdedit  /set  DisplayBootMenu  Yes
    E.g. that allows me to press F8 before the reboot occurs and thus allows more diagnosis to be done.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Not had any issues on VMware Workstation Player 12. Any reason you have not updated?
    that was the problem, install goes on without a hitch now thanks!
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:10 AM