Project Linkages (Predecessors & Successors) RRS feed

• Question

• Baselining restrictions are enabled, while still the Team has full edit access to the project.

What is the recommended approach across industry if anyone is aware upon.. should the Team be enabled / restricted with editing the linkages / durations...

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:46 PM

All replies

• Scatterworlds --

It is not possible to lock down specific planning/editing tasks, such as changing Duration values, setting task dependencies, setting task constraints, etc.  If a user has Read/Write access to the project, that user can do any type of planning and editing with the project, except for saving a baseline (which you said you have locked down).

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:51 PM
  • It just depend on what the PMO governance is. Do they want to lock base lining down or not.  Every PMO is different so their isn't an direct answer. 

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:53 PM
  • As a standard industry wide practice is it fine / permitted to make any changes wrt activity duration / linkage ... post the baseline.. ?

As these are more often required / used considering the practical dynamic / agile environment as projects progress. Pl advise

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Can I expect an update
    Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:00 AM
  • Scatterworlds --

I think you have used up the good will of the volunteers who answer questions in this user forum.  A long time ago I recommended you use a PPM Partner to assist you with your implementation, but you indicated that your Partner did not deliver satisfactory assistance.

Then you began using this forum as your PPM Partner, knowing that our services are free.  I, for one, will no longer answer your questions.  Most of the time, your questions are so sophisticated that they cannot be easily answered in a user forum such as this anyway.  Worse still, when a volunteer provides an answer for one of your questions, you do not like the answer and want someone else to give you a different answer.  My patience with you ran out long ago.

I would suggest that you comb through the forums and mark the questions as answered where a satisfactory answer has been given by a volunteer.  And then I would recommend you select and hire a competent PPM Partner to assist you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Rob Schneider Monday, July 8, 2019 5:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Scatterworlds Monday, July 8, 2019 8:05 AM
    Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Dale A. Howard,

As suggested you earlier as well, you may can ignore responding in case you may have not have the precise answers to the said queries.

Also, the Forums like these are designed and encouraged for more and more of the queries and questions from active participants / users.

Hope these forums are not designed for Sales / Pre-sales wherein it is mandate to engage a PPM, while experiences in the past are already mentioned.

Look forward to contribute for active participation from the genuine users / mentors / SMEs to guide / suggest in best possible way we can.

Hope this Helps

Monday, July 8, 2019 5:14 AM
  • Scatterworlds --

These forums are designed for users to ask questions.  They are NOT designed nor used by anyone for pre-sales or sales purposes.  The forums are staffed entirely by volunteers, not Microsoft staff.  When I suggested you enlist the services of a PPM Partner, I felt this would be the best avenue for you to receive the help you really do need with your Project Online implementation.  Obviously that is your choice, one way or another.  But have you noticed that people are no longer replying to your questions?  I think you have used up the good will of the volunteers in this community.  So, feel free to ask all the questions you want, but do not be surprised if you receive few or no responses.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Dale A. Howard,

While you being informed multiple times by now, upon the disappointing experiences from multiple PPM Partners, there is no point on your re-emphasising upon engaging another PPM Partner.

Looks like, people are not replying owing to being provoked / encouraged by you and your unhealthy communications. 

Inputs would have being far better appreciated and productive rather than spending and engaging in more bandwidth at both ends for arguing / discussion upon the same.

All the best in assisting users with limited or feable queries only.

Monday, July 8, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Scatterworlds --

I speak only for myself.  I have no influence over anyone who may or may not want to reply to your questions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 8, 2019 10:29 PM