Office 365 update to office 2016-all my pinned items are gone RRS feed

• Question

• Updated my office product today on my workstation and all my pinned documents and folders in Excel are gone. Also, my last used documents on the start menu are gone. Why did the update hose all of this? It is a huge inconvenience to have to recreate everything all over again.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:17 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay. Please try the following steps and then check if it fixes the issue:

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registrybefore you modify it.

1. Open Registry Editor.

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU

3. Right click on File MRU and click Export. Specify the save location, name the file O15.reg and click Save.

4. Now, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU

5. Right click on File MRU and click Export. Specify the save location, name the file O16.reg and click Save.

6. Now, right click on the O15.reg file and click Open With > Notepad, click OK. Do the same thing for O16.reg file.

7. In the O16.reg file notepad, copy the registry path like below:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU]

8. Go to O15.reg file notepad and replace the similar registry path with the copied one from O16.reg file. Delete the similar text like it in red circle:

9. Click Ctrl + S to save the changes in the O15. reg file. Close the O15. reg file in notepad.

10. Now, double click the O15.reg file to import the registry key to \16.0\ path.

11. After importing successfully, open Excel and check if you can see your recent documents history.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, June 24, 2016 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, I noted that this issue has been reported several time in other threads and forums.

The pinned files list are stored in the following location for Office 2013 (Excel, for example):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\User MRU

I'd recommend you open Registry Editor, go to above location and check if you can see the User MRU key. Each user for Office will have their own key, and under that key will be "File MRU". Each pinned file has values named "Item 1", "Item 2", etc. If you can see the File MRU key, you can export the File MRU registry key to .reg file and then import it to the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, June 17, 2016 7:02 AM
  • I found the file you mentioned in 15.0, and my pinned items were there, and exported it. But there is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU in my registry. I created it in the same spot as the 15.0 key was in,  but importing the file proved a failure - although I had the User MRU selected, it did not import into that spot. I don't know where it went! I kind of panicked thinking I screwed up my Registry so I rebooted and checked, but everything seems okay.  How do you properly import a file into a particular spot? What did I do wrong? And thanks for your help.

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. Please try the following steps and then check if it fixes the issue:

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registrybefore you modify it.

1. Open Registry Editor.

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU

3. Right click on File MRU and click Export. Specify the save location, name the file O15.reg and click Save.

4. Now, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU

5. Right click on File MRU and click Export. Specify the save location, name the file O16.reg and click Save.

6. Now, right click on the O15.reg file and click Open With > Notepad, click OK. Do the same thing for O16.reg file.

7. In the O16.reg file notepad, copy the registry path like below:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\User MRU\OrgId_xxxxxxxxxxx...\File MRU]

8. Go to O15.reg file notepad and replace the similar registry path with the copied one from O16.reg file. Delete the similar text like it in red circle:

9. Click Ctrl + S to save the changes in the O15. reg file. Close the O15. reg file in notepad.

10. Now, double click the O15.reg file to import the registry key to \16.0\ path.

11. After importing successfully, open Excel and check if you can see your recent documents history.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Friday, June 24, 2016 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Thank you this is working fine for me 
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Thank you, I can see the current files, but the PINNED ones do show up on the most recent.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:37 PM