none
Quick Disable? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sorry if there is an easy answer for this, but I haven't figured out if there is a quick disable for SteadyState.  Right now, if I wish to disable SteadyState to make a change in the guest account, I have to undo all the settings and then remembering all my previous settings, reset when I'm done.  Is there a faster way to enable and disable settings?  I'm figuring there is and it is right in front of me, but I have yet to find it.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:52 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Curious D, I'd like to inform you that currently, we cannot "quick disable" Windows SteadyState. If you want to quickly enable the previous settings, you can try to export it via Windows SteadyState and then import it when you want to re-enable the restrictions on the user. Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:11 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Curious D, I'd like to inform you that currently, we cannot "quick disable" Windows SteadyState. If you want to quickly enable the previous settings, you can try to export it via Windows SteadyState and then import it when you want to re-enable the restrictions on the user. Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  A few questions:

1. How does one export and import settings?

2. What changes in the guest account necessitate new settings (for instance, changing the screen saver or reconfiguring a program setting, changing desktop icons)?

3. Can these settings be exported to other computers in a classroom (but have different Windows XP authentication codes)?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:46 PM
  •  

1.       We can use the "Export User", "Import User" on Windows SteadyState main interface to export the user with restrictions.

2.       This is based on your needs. We need to set the restrictions according to your aim, organization and of course those functions you do not want the user to access.

3.        Yes. You can export the user and import it to another computer with Windows SteadyState installed.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Thanks.  I'll have to try it out next week as I'm not planning to return to the computer lab until then.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

I wanted to point out one caveat of the import/export solution.  The act of importing a profile over top an existing user causes that user to first be deleted.  Thus, any files stored under that user's profile will be removed by the import. 

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:41 AM
  • I have 19 computers that have virtually the same settings.  The differences are that each computer has its own name (computer 1, computer 2, and so on).  Does this mean that if I import computer 1 profile to computer 2, computer 2 will be labeled computer 1?  Further, if there are any settings or program differences, or desktop differences, these will be overwritten by the original settings of the computer exporting the settings?

Thanks.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

The user profiles that SteadyState imports and exports only have information about the user account.  There is no computer-wide information contained in those files, so importing won't affect things like the computer's name. 

When you import a profile, a new user is created and the SteadyState user profile restrictions contained in the import file are applied to that user.  If a user with that name already exists, that user will be deleted (after confirmation) first.  No other settings from the computer that exported the profile are applied to the imported user.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I finally had a chance to work on the computers.  I saved the profile to the computer I was working on and released the restrictions on the account.  I made some changes on the computer desktop and some program settings.  However, when I tried to import the settings back to the same account, all the changes that I made to the account was eliminated.  I guess that is what was meant when a new account would be created.  So I'm back to square one.

How does one make changes to the desktop on a Guest account without having to disable and then run through all the settings again for SteadyState?  It seems so cumbersome to have to click every setting each time there is a change to be made on the Guest account.

Thanks.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Rob,

I am very glad that I read this thread before using Import User to re-establish my saved settings for a user. It saved me having to recreate a great deal of detail for a shared user that I am trying to configure. I was about to suffer the exact same fate that befell Curious D.

I have read the 2.5 Handbook and I thought I noticed an attempt to distinguish between a Windows User Account and a SteadyState User Profile. The Import User functionality that you describe blows this distinction out of the water. Surely there is a need for the ability to save a profile of SteadyState restrictions that can subsequently be applied to an existing Windows User on the same or another computer without first deleting the User's account!

I would appreciate it if my feedback could be relayed to the SteadyState development team.

Thanks.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:35 PM