VHD is corrupt or unreadable- no snapshots RRS feed

• Question

• I expanded the VHD but I did not have any snapshots of the VHD. The expansion went smoothly, the machine was working properly. Now all of a sudden the machine is saying that the VHD is corrupt or unreadable. I have tried to use the vhdtool.exe but I don't have any snapshots to repair it from. I have tried everything I believe, and rebuilding the VHD would be last case scenario. 
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you may have a real hardware error.  Have you checked your host event logs to see if it is reporting and disk errors for the disk you have the vhd on?

tim

• Marked as answer by Lawrence, Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:41 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:22 PM

All replies

• I have also tried to move the VHD but it fails about 3/4 of the way through and says that the file is corrupt. I also tried to remove the VHD from the machine and re-add it but it says that it cannot open attachment.
    • Edited by JMillz13 Monday, November 12, 2012 9:42 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Sounds like you may have a real hardware error.  Have you checked your host event logs to see if it is reporting and disk errors for the disk you have the vhd on?

tim

• Marked as answer by Lawrence, Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:41 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:41 AM
  • It was just dead. We have no explanation on what happened. We just had to rebuild the machine :/
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:45 PM