none
Inactive Task in Project Server 2013 (PWA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

As per my knowledge (still learning), we can have active task & Inactive task in Project Pro. But when we talking about Project Server 2013, i am not able to get Inactive task whereas having Active Task in 'Manage View' by which such column added for all projects.

Kindly let me know how to make some task as Inactive which not required for Projects. This requirement only for Project Server 2013.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:19 AM

Answers

• 1- Yes you are right. Note that using just PWA to Schedule must be a carfeully considered choice. In addition to this feature, there are a few other limitations when scheduling with PWA versus MS Project Pro, evenif with Project Server 2013, the PWA scheduling engine is the same than MS Project Pro.

2- If you were using Project Pro, you could set the 30 tasks as inactive and thus the %complete will be 100%. Note that you cannot inactivate tasks with actual work. But using PWA, you cannot inactivate tasks, thus the % complete will be 70%. A workaround would be to use a custom flag in place of the native inactivate field unavailable in PWA and then calculate a project custom field with a %complete based on the task with the flag.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Vrij007 Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:34 AM
  • Hi Vrijesh,

I'd suggest you to mark this thread as answered since the initial question is answered and open a new one with your concern above. There could be many ways to do that. Moreover, when you say that many users do not have Project Pro, this means that some one them have. Thus it could be confusing to have 2 ways. I'd rather suggest to put in place a process saying that you give access to an assistant to Project Pro and he'll be in charge to inactivate appropriate tasks. Doing this, no additional custom fields, no formula.

That being said, you can create a new flag "inactive task". Then you have to know how you want to calculate the new %complete. Then create a new task field for the actual work with the formula below, setting the calculation for summary rows to sum:

IIf([flag1]=Yes;0;8*[Actual Work]/[Minutes Per Day])

This new actual work field will equals to the actual work just if the task is not flagged. Then just create another field to calculated the new %complete.

WARNING: the out of the box fields (remaining, EV) will still be based on the out of the box fields such it might cause confusion. Moreover, it won't prevent resources to update tasks from the timesheet. Thus I strongly advice to choose a more oriented process solution, as I mentionned above.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to this link for feature comparison between PWA and Project Pro (2013 version).

Inactive tasks can only be managed in MS Project Pro. Meaning that you can only set a task to inactive with Project Pro and once set, you can only edit it in Project Pro (inactive tasks are read-only in PWA).

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for Information.

1) So basically, we cant have that facility in Project Server. We need to user Project Pro for that!!

2) I would like to know how % Complete works in for Project status in PWA. Suppose, there is one Project in PWA which having 100 Task to be completed. In that, if 70 task are actual applicable task which completed as 100% & rest 30 task not applicable. Then overall status of Project will show as 70% completion or 100%?

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:55 AM
  • 1- Yes you are right. Note that using just PWA to Schedule must be a carfeully considered choice. In addition to this feature, there are a few other limitations when scheduling with PWA versus MS Project Pro, evenif with Project Server 2013, the PWA scheduling engine is the same than MS Project Pro.

2- If you were using Project Pro, you could set the 30 tasks as inactive and thus the %complete will be 100%. Note that you cannot inactivate tasks with actual work. But using PWA, you cannot inactivate tasks, thus the % complete will be 70%. A workaround would be to use a custom flag in place of the native inactivate field unavailable in PWA and then calculate a project custom field with a %complete based on the task with the flag.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:34 AM
  • Thank you.

Can you provide some documents or procedure for such workaround as many users not having Project Pro?

Looking for some way by which we can show inactive task or something in PWA & then calculation should show 100% complete even though rest not applicable task not updated.

Regards,

Vrijesh

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:11 AM
  • Hi Vrijesh,

I'd suggest you to mark this thread as answered since the initial question is answered and open a new one with your concern above. There could be many ways to do that. Moreover, when you say that many users do not have Project Pro, this means that some one them have. Thus it could be confusing to have 2 ways. I'd rather suggest to put in place a process saying that you give access to an assistant to Project Pro and he'll be in charge to inactivate appropriate tasks. Doing this, no additional custom fields, no formula.

That being said, you can create a new flag "inactive task". Then you have to know how you want to calculate the new %complete. Then create a new task field for the actual work with the formula below, setting the calculation for summary rows to sum:

IIf([flag1]=Yes;0;8*[Actual Work]/[Minutes Per Day])

This new actual work field will equals to the actual work just if the task is not flagged. Then just create another field to calculated the new %complete.

WARNING: the out of the box fields (remaining, EV) will still be based on the out of the box fields such it might cause confusion. Moreover, it won't prevent resources to update tasks from the timesheet. Thus I strongly advice to choose a more oriented process solution, as I mentionned above.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:40 AM