Subsites and Unique Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Here is my current situation/question...

I have a SP2010 site that uses custom site defs to create the subsites below the home/root site. In those defs I am creating Site groups analagous to the Owners, Members and Visitors groups. Each site has to have unique permissions so inheritance is broken on the sites when they're created, then the groups are created and permissions assigned etc.

Here's the weird thing (or maybe it's not weird and just how SP works). The Owners have full control permissions

1) I add my TestUser to the Home/Root Site's "Home Owners" group

2) I add my TestUser to the Subsite1 "Subsite1 Owners" group

3) There are 4 subsites (2-5) below Subsite1 that are created using the same site def that Subsite1 used

4) In the "Subsite2-5 Owners" groups I have NOT added the TestUser

5) I log in as the TestUser and I can see the Home link and the Subsite1 link

6) I click on the Subsite1 link and I get an access denied message from SP

7) If I go back and add TestUser to the "Subsite2-5 Owners" groups and then login as TestUser I can click on the Subsite1 link and view its default home page

Again Subsite 1 does not inherit from Home and Subsites2-5 which are below Subsite1 do not inherit from Subsite1. Also if TestUser is not in the "Subsite2-5 Owners" groups I do not see those links below Subsite1

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Hopefully that's a clear enough explanation but I'd be happy to offer more details if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:18 PM

Answers

• Sushil I was just doing that and I found there is a Links list that I create in code and also tie to a webpart in code. I'm getting the following from the ULS viewer:

We found the issue was in a webpart created by one of my teammates and it was looping through the subsites but we needed to add the .DoesUserHavePermissions call to make sure they could actually use the subsite in the loop we're running.

Mike
    • Marked as answer by MGorgone Friday, October 21, 2011 8:53 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:53 PM

All replies

• Are you getting the same issue when you are using the default sharepoint site definitions?

Shubham Goyal
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Shubham I was actually just about to test that scenario :). I'll report back what I find.

Mike
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:02 PM
  •  

Hi Mike,

Check whether subsite1  has any custom code or webpart attached on the landing page which would be reading data from other subsite(2-5).

Please check Sharepoint ULS log(under 14 hive) for access denied messagedetails.

Hope this helps:)

Cheers,,

Sushil

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Sushil I was just doing that and I found there is a Links list that I create in code and also tie to a webpart in code. I'm getting the following from the ULS viewer:

We found the issue was in a webpart created by one of my teammates and it was looping through the subsites but we needed to add the .DoesUserHavePermissions call to make sure they could actually use the subsite in the loop we're running.

Mike
    • Marked as answer by MGorgone Friday, October 21, 2011 8:53 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:53 PM