Sealed Management Packs not showing in the custom monitor / rules. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there...I am trying to create a custom monitor to target Logical Free Disk space usage for group of server. I am trying to select the management packs & I found that sealed mp aren't showing up as mentioned in the picture, but only non-sealed ones are showing up. 

Can you pls provide me steps with best practice that I can follow so that I can use sealed MPs ? 

VT

• Edited by mywindows Friday, May 11, 2018 3:45 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

Agree with the below answer, In general we can not edit sealed MP, now why we cant do this below is the fact:-

A sealed management pack is a binary file that cannot be edited. An unsealed management pack is an XML file that can be edited. Sealed management packs should have an .mp extension, while unsealed management packs should have an .xml extension.

In general, management packs obtained from an application or hardware device vendor are sealed.

Although you cannot change the settings in a sealed management pack, you can still customize the applied settings of a management pack after it is imported by using overrides or by creating additional settings such as rules, monitors, and tasks that supersede the management pack's default settings. All customizations that you create are saved to a separate management pack file.

Management packs can only reference another management pack if the management pack that is referenced is sealed.

For further you can also read this link.

Now coming to your concern , you can achieve your goal by creating a monitor in a unsealed MP and then create a group of servers in that unsealed MP ( coz if you will create group of server in other unsealed MP then it will not work , you can only select things which are present in same unsealed MP ) and target this monitor to created group.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

• Edited by GouravIN Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by mywindows Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:40 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:56 AM
  • In addition to the other comments; be very very careful how you do this "I am trying to create a custom monitor to target Logical Free Disk space usage for group of server. "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2009/11/24/writing-monitors-to-target-logical-or-physical-disks/

Cheers

Graham

Blog - http://www.f1point2.com/ Twitter - https://twitter.com/F1Point2_Graham

Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:01 AM
  • >>Hi there...I am trying to create a custom monitor to target Logical Free Disk space usage for group of server. I am trying to select the management packs & I found that sealed mp aren't showing up as mentioned in the picture, but only non-sealed ones are showing up.

One of the different between selaed and un-selaed MP is that selaed MP cannot be modified. As a result, your custom monitor or rule can be saved in un-sealed MP only.
    Roger

Monday, May 14, 2018 3:03 AM

All replies

• You can't store a custom monitor in a sealed management pack.

You need to create an unsealed management pack for this or for overrides.

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Friday, May 11, 2018 9:28 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 6:37 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Agree with the below answer, In general we can not edit sealed MP, now why we cant do this below is the fact:-

A sealed management pack is a binary file that cannot be edited. An unsealed management pack is an XML file that can be edited. Sealed management packs should have an .mp extension, while unsealed management packs should have an .xml extension.

In general, management packs obtained from an application or hardware device vendor are sealed.

Although you cannot change the settings in a sealed management pack, you can still customize the applied settings of a management pack after it is imported by using overrides or by creating additional settings such as rules, monitors, and tasks that supersede the management pack's default settings. All customizations that you create are saved to a separate management pack file.

Management packs can only reference another management pack if the management pack that is referenced is sealed.

For further you can also read this link.

Now coming to your concern , you can achieve your goal by creating a monitor in a unsealed MP and then create a group of servers in that unsealed MP ( coz if you will create group of server in other unsealed MP then it will not work , you can only select things which are present in same unsealed MP ) and target this monitor to created group.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

• Edited by GouravIN Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:03 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Also,

DON'T save anything in the "Default Management Pack", create new one.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:50 AM
  • In addition to the other comments; be very very careful how you do this "I am trying to create a custom monitor to target Logical Free Disk space usage for group of server. "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2009/11/24/writing-monitors-to-target-logical-or-physical-disks/

Cheers

Graham

Blog - http://www.f1point2.com/ Twitter - https://twitter.com/F1Point2_Graham

Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:01 AM
  • >>Hi there...I am trying to create a custom monitor to target Logical Free Disk space usage for group of server. I am trying to select the management packs & I found that sealed mp aren't showing up as mentioned in the picture, but only non-sealed ones are showing up.

One of the different between selaed and un-selaed MP is that selaed MP cannot be modified. As a result, your custom monitor or rule can be saved in un-sealed MP only.
    Roger

Monday, May 14, 2018 3:03 AM
  • I really appreciate everyone's reply. Thank you for giving me brief explanation & resources.

VT

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:40 PM