Can't open Word docs RRS feed

• Question

• I have some documents I use weekly and and emet now says "slimexe mitigation"  when I try to open them. This has put me in real bind as I can't open any word document. I have office 2013.
    • Edited by bea801 Friday, September 5, 2014 10:56 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 10:54 PM

All replies

• I guess you made an typing error because ‘slimexe’ isn’t a mitigation. Do you mean the ‘SimExecFlow’ mitigation?

Can you also give some more information about which version of EMET you use. Please take a look at the application event log and search for the EMET event(s) or filter on the event source EMET and the EventID (Mitigation Error).  Copy the details of the event and paste it in this thread. With the additional information the users of this forum can better understand your problem and maybe help you.
    Did you start to use EMET recently or did you use it for a longer period and suddenly you get the mitigation warning?

In EMET you can simply disable the SimExecFlow protection for a executable like WinWord.exe but if you have used EMET before and until now could open the documents without any problems this is not wise without further investigation. In EMET 4.x you can specifically configure the SimExecFlow protection by modifying the registry and adding a SimExecFlowCount registry value but this is rather difficult. In EMET 5.0 you can configure the SimExecFlow protection in the interface.

W. Spu

Saturday, September 6, 2014 9:53 AM