Exchange 2003 Monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I am monitoring my Exchange 2003 server with SCE 2007 and it looks like there is a lot of data I am not gathering.  I have run and configured the management pack wizard and (I think) followed the advice I found here in the forum and the management pack guide as to which monitors I need to enable.  Despite this, when I go to Exchange Server->Exchange 2003-->All Server State, I don't get any status for Exchange Mail Flow, Exchange Queue, Exchange OWA, Exchange OMA, or Exchange AES.

Additionally, when I go to Exchange Server->Exchange 2003->Outlook Web Access, no data is logged for OWA Logon Latency or OWA Performance Data.

The same is true for performance data under Mail Flow, Mail Queues, MAPI Logon, Outlook Mobile Access, and Storage.

Any thoughts?

Jeffrey

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi  Jeffrey,

Please check if the Exchange services are running correctly and if there is any Exchange related errors in Event logs.

Meanwhile, this kind of "not monitored" issue may also occur if there was a problem with the performance counters on the Windows 2003 machines. Please refer to KB300956

How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/en-us

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:10 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jeffrey,

This situation may be normal if you have not enabled the related settings in "Authoring" tab.

Based on test and experience, this situation may be normal if the Exchange server is indeed running correctly without any errors, so there is no alerts recorded in the Monitoring items list. If so, the related monitor shows no alerts data, that is normal. If "Active Alerts", "All Events"and "All Performance Data" etc works well to display monitoring information, I believe Exchange server is being well monitored.

At this time, we also need to make sure the related monitor function is enabled correctly in the Authoring control console. Please follow the detailed steps as below to modified the override settings to enable the monitor functions:

1.    Open the SCE console, navigate to "Authoring" pane.
    2.    Select "Management Pack Objects" – "Monitors" – "Exchange mail flow".
    3.    Expand "Entity Health" – "Availability" – "Exchange Mail Flow Monitor(Receiver Part)".
    4.    Right click "Network Adaptor Connection Health", select "Overrides" – "Override the monitor" – "For all objects of  type: Windows Server 2003 Network Adaptor".
    5.    Click the checkbox beside "Enable", and change the override settings from "False" to "True".
    6.    Click "Apply", click "OK".
    7.    Repeat step 2 to 6 for "Exchange Mail Flow Monitor(Sender Part)"(and other monitor target like MailFlow, OWA).
    8.    Wait for a moment and go back to Monitoring to check the Exchange components monitor status again.

To enable Exchange Topology Discovery

1.      In the Authoring pane of the Operations Manager 2007 Operations Console, click Object Discoveries.
    2.      In the Object Discoveries pane, right-click Exchange 2003 Topology Discovery, point to Overrides, point to Override the Object Discovery, and then click For a specific object of type: Exchange 2003 Role.
    3.      In the Select Object dialog box, type the search criteria, and then click OK.
    4.      Select the desired server running Exchange Server 2003 from Matching objects, and then click OK.
    5.      In the Override Properties dialog box, select Override for the Enabled parameter, and then select True from the Override Setting drop-down list.
    6.      Select the Management Pack to save the override in, and then click OK.
    7.      After trying the above steps, please go to Monitoring and check if the Exchange Topology is working now.

For more information, please check the following article below:

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Management Pack Operation Guide
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/d/74deff5e-449f-4a6b-91dd-ffbc117869a2/om2007_mp_exsrvr2003.doc

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response Robbin. 

I double-checked and I have already tried the steps you suggest and I still don't have performance data.  Also, when I open the Operations Manager event log on my FE Exchange server, I see a lot of errors:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Health Service Modules
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10102
    Date:  1/17/2008
    Time:  8:09:04 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: VANBUREN
    Description:
    In PerfDataSource, could not resolve counter MSExchangeIS, Client: RPCs Failed / sec, . Module will be unloaded.

One or more workflows were affected by this. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange.ServerRole.2003.ClientRPCFailesSec.Collection
    Instance name: VANBUREN
    Instance ID: {482B3A86-02E2-8E7C-0CD7-D33E41D6810E}
    Management group: PIERCE_MG

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Description:
    In PerfDataSource, could not resolve counter MSExchangeIS, Client: RPCs attempted / sec, . Module will be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange.ServerRole.2003.ClientRPCAttemptSec.Collection

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Description:
    In PerfDataSource, could not resolve counter MSExchangeIS, Virus Scan Messages Deleted/sec, . Module will be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange.ServerRole.2003.VirusScanMsgDelSec.Collection

_______________________________________________________________________________

Time:  8:09:06 AM
    Description:
    In PerfDataSource, could not resolve counter MSExchangeIS Mailbox, Messages Sent/min, _Total. Module will be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange.ExchangeComponent.IS.MsgSentMin.Collection
    Instance name: Information Store
    Instance ID: {03BC9E3D-ACC3-9F42-781F-B5F85D5FBA79}

_____________________________________________________________________________________

There are a bunch of others like that as well.  Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:27 PM

• Hi  Jeffrey,

Please check if the Exchange services are running correctly and if there is any Exchange related errors in Event logs.

Meanwhile, this kind of "not monitored" issue may also occur if there was a problem with the performance counters on the Windows 2003 machines. Please refer to KB300956

How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956/en-us

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:10 AM
  •  

Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:19 AM