OWA shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• We are unable to open shared mailboxes in OWA from the internet but it works fine inside our network.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You have to create a security group, add relevant users to that group and then grant full mailbox access to that group (you might also need to grant Send As permission if that's a requirement).
    When they access shared or group mailbox via Internet they would need to indicate alias in the URL (e.g.
    https://owa.company.com/Exchange/aliasofthesharedmailbox)

Resource:

Shared mailboxes in OWA 2007

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, May 16, 2011 3:47 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 8:10 AM
  • We discovered today that if you put a / at the end of the URL, it will work.  Any ideas how to tell it to put the / in automatically?
    • Marked as answer by Stace1103 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• 1. Which Exchange version are you using?

2. Is this an issue with all users?

3. Can you reproduce the issue?

4. Has this ever worked?

Sukh

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Exchange 2007

Yes.  Everyone is having the problem.

Yes.

I had 1 person tell that it worked for them in the past but I never saw it myself. 

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:37 PM
  • This is the error I am receiving

Server Error

<fieldset>

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

</fieldset>
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:38 PM
  • 1. What error if any are you getting?

2. Pick one user, and try both methods in the link. (URL and OWA).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998830(EXCHG.80).aspx

Sukh

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:48 PM
  • I have already tried this and still no luck.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:22 PM
  • 1. Can you confirm that OWA is actually working (externally)?

Sukh

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:26 PM
  • 1. You say it works for one person, Is this still the case?

2. Pick a problem User.  Verify the mailbox this User is trying to access has full mailbox permission on that mailbox.

3.Check the same as point 2 with the working user in point 1 if it still works?

Sukh

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:30 PM
  • It is no longer working for that 1 person. 
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 6:22 PM
  • 1. Have you checked the permisison as stated above?

2. If you setup a similar scenario with a completly new user and a new shared mailbox, does this work?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Yes.  I have full admin permission to all mailboxes and I receive the same error. 
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

You have to create a security group, add relevant users to that group and then grant full mailbox access to that group (you might also need to grant Send As permission if that's a requirement).
    When they access shared or group mailbox via Internet they would need to indicate alias in the URL (e.g.
    https://owa.company.com/Exchange/aliasofthesharedmailbox)

Resource:

Shared mailboxes in OWA 2007

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Monday, May 16, 2011 3:47 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Yes.  It is working.
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 1:18 AM
  • Thank you.  I tried creating a security group, adding relevant users to that group and then granting full mailbox access to that group and I am still receiving the below message. 

<fieldset>

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

</fieldset>
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:53 AM
  • 1. Seems like an issue with IIS.  Check your IIS config and redirects.

2. Run the ExBPA against this server.

Sukh

Sunday, May 8, 2011 7:52 PM
  • We discovered today that if you put a / at the end of the URL, it will work.  Any ideas how to tell it to put the / in automatically?
    • Marked as answer by Stace1103 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:43 PM