none
DPM 2012 R2- Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot takes the VMs for 1 minute down. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question. I am using DPM 2012 R2. DPM recognizes the VMs on the Host and i see the Backups as Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots. Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots are Online Backups (please correct me if i am wrong). But every time DPM is making a backup of the VMs, the VMS are for 1 minute not responding. After that minute the backup continues and the VM are available again. Its not taking a offline backup because the machine is only for 1 minute not reachable. On critical servers even this minute is too long. Is there a way to get 100% online backups in DPM 2012 R2? 

Thanks for your time,

John 

• Edited by John G4 Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Markus,

The DPM version is 4.2.1312.0 it is SCDPM 2012 R2 Rollup Update 6.

I found a really good tip in another post. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6bde7a58-abdd-4275-a5a9-2ce4db7a858b/hyperv-2012-r2-backup-server-2008-r2-offline-only

First i deleted the VMs from the Protection groups.

Then i restarted the VMs and after it boots i restarted the service.

After that i added the VMs in the protection groups and the VMs are no longer shown as  Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots. Now the VMs are showed as ONLINE. I dont know the difference between Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots and online backups, but it works fine now.

Thanks for your time

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots are as you say online backups.

To troubleshoot your issue:

• What version of DPM 2012 R2 are you running?
    • If possible, can you try stopping the protection of a VM, re-add it and make sure the wizard still says it will take the snapshot online and not as offline or saved state.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:38 AM
  • Within the virtual machine properties under "Hardware Configuration / Advanced / Integration Services"

Do you have backup (volume snapshot) box checked ?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:23 PM
  • Hi mrtechguru,

Yes the backup (volume snapshot) box is checked.

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Hi Markus,

The DPM version is 4.2.1312.0 it is SCDPM 2012 R2 Rollup Update 6.

I found a really good tip in another post. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6bde7a58-abdd-4275-a5a9-2ce4db7a858b/hyperv-2012-r2-backup-server-2008-r2-offline-only

First i deleted the VMs from the Protection groups.

Then i restarted the VMs and after it boots i restarted the service.

After that i added the VMs in the protection groups and the VMs are no longer shown as  Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots. Now the VMs are showed as ONLINE. I dont know the difference between Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots and online backups, but it works fine now.

Thanks for your time

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Hi John,

"Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots" is the same as "Online".
    It was renamed some time ago and you should only see VMs as Online or Offline when you are running update rollup 6 for DPM 2012 R2. Offline was former "Backup Using Saved State" in case you bump into it.

Glad you find a solution to your problem!

Kind Regards
    Markus

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:00 PM