IE 11 Enterprise Mode and Report Viewer 2008 PRINTING...compatible?? RRS feed

• Question

• We are stuck on IE 9 because we also have Report Viewer 2008 installed to our XenApp servers...

Upon upgrading to IE 10 our intranet reports stopped working and it was traced back to the Report Viewer PRINTING DLLs not being compatible with IE 10...rsprinet.dll etc.

It's a well-known problem and upgrading the intranet server etc. is probably not possible for several centuries from now, sigh...

Would installing IE 11 and using Enterprise Mode for the intranet server site solve this problem??

Thank you, Tom

• Edited by tlyczko2 Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:18 PM

All replies

• It's worth a try. You can install IE11 and the update and run Enterprise Mode locally. Follow the instructions to add Enterprise Mode via the registry in the documentation here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mark

Mark Feetham Senior Program Manager Internet Explorer Product Quality

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Could you provide us with more details about this problem from event logs?

Gernerally, you can try collecting dumps for us to fix such crash issue.

Get the reg file from my OneDrive, and import it to registry. Once Internet Explorer crashes again, it will generate dump files. And then upload it to OneDrive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/add-photos-files

Note before import this reg file, please backup your registry first.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry#1TC=windows-7

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 11, 2014 8:32 AM
  • I’ll try to remember to do this…

It is a known problem that the report printing DLLs don’t get along with anything higher than IE 9.

These are XenApp servers, with some degree of fragility, I don’t want to break them. J J

I plan to snapshot one server during off hours, upgrade it to IE 11, configure Enterprise Mode for the INTRANET server that uses the old report printing DLLs, and see what happens upon trying to print a report.

I’ll hope to try do this next Tuesday evening…

BTW the link takes me to my own OneDrive or to the home/signup page.

Also, why are we not allowed to reply by email?? I did so and it bounced back. VMware and many other companies allow reply to forums by email

Thank you, Tom

Friday, April 11, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Upon upgrading to IE 10 our intranet reports stopped working and it was traced back to the Report Viewer PRINTING DLLs not being compatible with IE 10...rsprinet.dll etc.

It's a well-known problem

Would installing IE 11 and using Enterprise Mode for the intranet server site solve this problem??

"Stopped working" means what exactly?  One inference being made here is that a crash of IE is involved.  Is that correct? 

Also, "well-known problem"?... 

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/654302/report-viewer-print-control-crashes-internet-explorer-9

<closed as not reproducible>

Sounds like there is a workaround involving loosening security?  That is a common "solution" for printing problems with IE these days.

Installing IE11 might mean that you are even further from compatible support for old printer requirements.  An approach that some are using is to try to use XPS Document Writer as a virtual printer and then see if the resulting .xps file can be printed somehow independently of IE.  Inexplicably, often it can't.  However, when it can that leads to a possible solution:  finding out whether you have any printers which support XPS format directly.  Apparently some newer printers do.  Then use those drivers with IE.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Can't remember if it was IE crashing per se or what.

The URL given by Altwinkle does not match our usage scenario, so I dismiss it too.

The above solutions with XPS etc. won't work...it is definitely rsprint.dll files which are involved.

Already tried stuff with intranet zone, etc. -- or I would not have asked here...I'll try security things if Ent Mode does not work.

No info here on how to pick specific print drivers with IE etc., and this is more work than end users should have to do -- and furthermore this is a XenApp environment with many different printers involved etc.

I will try Ent Mode and see what happens.

Thank you, Tom

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:44 PM