none
Alternative Disaster Recovery Solution for DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We have been using DPM 2010 on scsi attached disk. plus as disaster recovery we use tape disk which we took it remote location every week. .  Recently Our backup tape unit has been broken down and it is not usable anymore.

The question is Is there anyway to export backup on scsi attached disk to the USB portable disks?  Or how can I use  usb portable disk as disaster recovery? Cannot afford to buy a new tape unit.

Thank you for spending your valuable time for this topic

Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

• Actually, I forgot about this simpler solution.

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to the USB drive.

This can be repeated when needed.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx for more details.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ferhat Indi Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:05 AM
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Thank you I found the solution

I ran the Windows backup and pick the disks which are located on Disk enclosure as sources and target is my usb drive.

It worked pretty good. Thank you Mike

Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:48 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure what kind of data or amount of data being protected by DPM, and depending on the number of data sources, this may not be practical, but you can restore the most recent recovery point on disk and choose to restore to alternate location, and write it to the removable USB disk. Once the restore is done, take it offsite.

You can probably automate this using power shell commands.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Actually, I forgot about this simpler solution.

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to the USB drive.

This can be repeated when needed.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx for more details.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Thank you I found the solution

I ran the Windows backup and pick the disks which are located on Disk enclosure as sources and target is my usb drive.

It worked pretty good. Thank you Mike

Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I ran DPMBackup.exe -replicas (DPM2010) in cmd from the ...Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin folder of my DPM 2010 server and it listed all the replicas getting snapshots taken.

Am I right in thinking that I should then go to ...Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to find what DPMBackup.exe created?

Is this just a way of backing up the locations of the replicas on the storage group or is it a way of backing up the replicas themselves in case the storage group becomes faulty?

Thanks,

Brad

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Dpmbackup -replicas creates snapshots of the replica volumes and mounts those read-only snapshots under the Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.  So yes, that is a point in time "view" of your replica data and you can copy it out of the snapshots to a removable disk, or to tape to take them offsite.    Each time you run dpmbackup -replicas, new shapshots get taken and exposed, so they are only current based on the time you ran dpmbackup, and will get deleted based on the retention period of the PG's.  Snapshots use a FIFO model.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:23 PM