Sequencing for Remote Desktop Services RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting to look into AppV for sequencing apps for my Remote Desktop Services environment and my Windows XP and 7 clients.

I feel this might be a daft question but if I want to sequence an application to run on Remote Desktop Services (Windows 2008 R2 server) then should I be sequencing the application on a clean 2008 R2 Server. If I want it to run on Win7 and and RDS am I going to need to sequence the application seperately for each environment?

TIA,
    Namby

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• This makes an interesting opportunity to extend the not-so-documented "best practices" to this new era...

From a "oldest release" standpoint, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7-64-bit, and Windows Server 2008 R2 are all equal; they were all released at the same time with pretty much the same dlls.

From a Server versus desktop standpoint, I have always recommended sequencing on a desktop OS first (unless you have a problem).  This holds even if you do not intent to run on a desktop OS; you are more likely to be successful.  To restate this closer to the Microsoft statements, you could decide to sequence on the Server OS but without terminal services installed and run on the server (obviously with TS installed since that is how it is licensed).

In general, I would advocate that if you need to sequence a 32-bit app for use on both 32-bit and x64 platforms, and you only want to sequence it once, you should sequence on the 32-bit platform and {should} be fine.  I have sequenced a few 32-bit apps on x64 and run on 32-bit without issue, but maybe I was lucky!

So if I wanted to deploy to Windows 7 32-bit, possibly Windows 7 x64, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64), and only wanted to sequence once, I would sequence it on Windows 7 32-bit.  99 times out of one hunderd it will work as well as if I sequenced it for each platform.

• Proposed as answer by kirk_tnModerator Friday, February 26, 2010 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Namby Monday, March 1, 2010 8:26 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

For general guidance regarding sequencing you can always read the whitepaper;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

I always tend to sequence on a machine very similiar to the production environment.

/Znack
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:33 PM
  • If you know that you're going to sequence for both platforms, starting with Win7 is a good advice (and perhaps sequence some apps on W2008R2 if the Win7-Packages fail).
    Most of the apps should work. Some won't because of 32/64-bit differences (if your Win7 is a 32-bit-machine).

When sequencing on W2008R2, one advice to have the RDS role not activated on the Sequencer in order to avoid RDS "install mode" activities (like using the Shadow Key). Let App-V do the "per-user" configuration settings.

Falko
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hello,

I know Softricity recommended to sequence on the oldest OS available within one environment, however MS standpoint on this is that you should sequence for the platform intended to distribute.

/Znack
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:22 PM
  • This makes an interesting opportunity to extend the not-so-documented "best practices" to this new era...

From a "oldest release" standpoint, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7-64-bit, and Windows Server 2008 R2 are all equal; they were all released at the same time with pretty much the same dlls.

From a Server versus desktop standpoint, I have always recommended sequencing on a desktop OS first (unless you have a problem).  This holds even if you do not intent to run on a desktop OS; you are more likely to be successful.  To restate this closer to the Microsoft statements, you could decide to sequence on the Server OS but without terminal services installed and run on the server (obviously with TS installed since that is how it is licensed).

In general, I would advocate that if you need to sequence a 32-bit app for use on both 32-bit and x64 platforms, and you only want to sequence it once, you should sequence on the 32-bit platform and {should} be fine.  I have sequenced a few 32-bit apps on x64 and run on 32-bit without issue, but maybe I was lucky!

So if I wanted to deploy to Windows 7 32-bit, possibly Windows 7 x64, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64), and only wanted to sequence once, I would sequence it on Windows 7 32-bit.  99 times out of one hunderd it will work as well as if I sequenced it for each platform.

• Proposed as answer by kirk_tnModerator Friday, February 26, 2010 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Namby Monday, March 1, 2010 8:26 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Thanks guys, appreciated.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:26 AM