Vista reboots after clicking restart! RRS feed

• Question

• My computer after installing vista (doesn't matter which verision) will go into an infinate reboot loop and the only way to get it to stop is to press and hold down the power button and then turning it back on. This reboot thing only happens when I click restart or when an application is wanting to restart. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this, This didn't happen in windows xp plius I think my computer meets the requirements.

My Computer specs are:

RAM = 1.50 GB
    HDD = SEAGATE 40 GB
    DISPLAY = NVIDIA GEFORCE 5500 FX
    NETWORK CARD = INTEL PRO 100/VM
    AUDIO (ONBOARD) - AC'7 SOUND MAX (PCI ADD-IN) SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY LS
    CPU = INTEL PENTIUM 4 @ 2.4 GHZ
    OPTICAL DRIVE = LITE-ON DVD/CD BURNER

I have tried all the eidtions from Home Basic,Home Premium,and Ultimate. None of htem seem to fix the problem. I also want to note that I always do a clean install. I just wanted to give a lot more detail about that reboot looop. It will display the computer logo after an application restarts or when you click restart and then and then right before it displays the Vista loading bar and ir will reboot and d isplay the compaq logo and continue doing this till you press and hold power to shut it down and then turn it back on.

Friday, May 9, 2008 7:24 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Steven,

This is a kernel mode crash issue. Generally it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hello anyone got any ideas, 29 people viewed and no one one wants to take a guess at a solution?
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  

Hi Steven,

This is a kernel mode crash issue. Generally it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:31 AM