none
Project 2007 not calculating Regular Work column properly RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question of how to fix the number of hours being calculated in regular work column.  For example, I have a task with a 10 day duration and 3 resources assigned. 2 resources at 25% and 1 at 15%.  Based on 80 hours, I would expected the Regular Work column to read 52 hours not 24.75 hours.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the schedule, calendar, task type but am not sure.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Split your screen (Window > Split) and tell us task type - effort driven or not?  Do you still see all resources assigned at the assignment units you note?

I see:

R1 25% - 20 hours

R2 25% - 20 hours

R3 15% - 12 hours

What are your values?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Task Type is Fixed Duration but the Effort Driven box is not checked and the Calendar is set to none.  The assignment units are not what I would expect.  R1 25% has 4.52hr, R2 25% has .23hr and R3 15% has 20hr.  I didn't set these up but am trying to figure out how to correct.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:54 PM
  • It sounds like quite a bit of customization was done to the resource's calendars.  Check Tools, Change Working time and look at each of the resource's calendars.

As an experiment.  Assign one resource at 100% - do you get 80 hours of work?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:23 PM
  • It seems like the resource calendars are normal. 8am-12pm..1pm-5pm.  I did run an experiment with the details you provided.  If I assign 1 resource 100% with Task Types Fixed Duration, Fixed Work and Fixed Units, I do get 80 hours.  When I setup a Fixed Duration task then add more resources and change units, I do see the work hours change each time. This makes sense.  
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Let me clarify - Using the 3 resources above only R3 changed to 80hrs when I updated to 100%.  Both R1 and R2 came up with something else.  As I mentioned, the schedules look ok.  The other experiment I ran was just me adding another task.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:11 PM
  • I'd take a look at R1 and R2's calendars.  if they are assigned at 100% and you are not seeing 80 hours for each resource - they have customized calendars.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Ok I will do that.  What is the best way to look at each resources calendar to see if it's customized?  Tools > Change Working Time then use the "For calendar" drop down box the find the resource. Or something else?
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:53 PM
  • If you have a number of resources, it might be faster to create a quick custom resource report and show each calendar definition.

Choose Report > Reports, and click custom.  Click New and select Resource as the Report type. On the definition page name the report.  You can leave the Period as Entire Project, the Table as Entry, and the Filter as All Resources.

Click the Details tab and select "Calendar" under the Resource heading.

That should give you a quick printed report.

If you only have a few resources, show the Resource Sheet view - double click on each resource to show the Resource Information form and click the Working Time button to show their calendar.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Thanks I will look into this.  The weird thing is if I just delete the 3 resources and then re-input them with the same percentages the total hours recalculate and everything works.  It's almost as if changes were made which then threw things off and now can't be fixed unless redoing everything.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Is there a glitch or something that once you assign resources and percentages for units you can't make changes because they don't get updated or possibly something else?  Is it the way a task is setup or if effort driven is marked?
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:18 PM
  • No 'glitches' - just calculations.  In Fixed Duration tasks if you increase work, Project will increase assignment units.  If you decrease work - Project will decrease assignment units.  If you change units, Project will recalculate the work.

Although the page below talks about Project 2003, the calculations remain the same for Project 2007.

About Task Types:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/about-task-types-HP001038014.aspx

Effort Driven:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/about-effort-driven-scheduling-HP045304202.aspx

In Fixed Duration, Effort driven tasks - if you add resources: total work stays the same (Effort Driven), Duration doesn't change (you Fixed it), so units decreases.  In Fixed Duration, Effort driven tasks, if you remove resources: total work stays the same (Effort Driven), Duration doesn't change (you Fixed it), so units increase.

Friday, June 7, 2013 12:59 PM