How can I disable the automatic sort of newly created files and folders in Vista explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• The Vista interface can frustrate me in 100 different ways, but I guess this one is one of the worst.  I usually have to deal with huge loads of files and folders, and I'm used to XP adding the new file/folder on the bottom, where I can access them quickly.  But now in Vista, as soon as I move or create something in a folder, its automatically sent to the "right" place, alphabetically.  I hate that!

And where the hell is the explorer button which moves "up one level" from the current folder????? I had to install a whole extra addon just for that button! 

I also miss the DELETE button because I like working with mouse, exclusively. (Now the delete button is 2 clicks away in the stupid Organize menu)

And why doesn’t the folder pane (left side of the explorer) expand the folders when I click on them, just like in XP?

I’m asking MICROSOFT (damn monopoly), can I at least have a customizable menu, like we USED TO IN XP, where I can decide for myself what setup is best for ME????  Did you expect everyone to actually like such a brick layout?  Do you have any idea how much efficiency I lost with stupid Vista? 

If you’re going to force your new product down the customer’s throat for profit, AT LEAST GIVE US A CUSTOMIZABLE AND WORKING PRODUCT!  Or maybe you realized that as long as people were happy with XP, they wouldn’t need another system, and you wouldn’t make gazillions.  So you told the computer manufacturers to stop supporting XP, and so I had no choice but to get stupid Vista with my new Asus laptop.  And now that people loathe Vista, you have an excuse to rush out yet another BRICK OF A SYSTEM (Windows 7), which looks and feels just as bad as Vista.  At least the beta does.

Hey, if Vista was as efficient as XP, I wouldn’t mind paying the money.  But the truth is that XP compares to Vista just like a Ferrari compares a station wagon.
    I hate monopolies like Microsoft because they have absolutely no respect for the customer and they do whatever they want.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi

I know that your frustrated, but posting feedback on technical support forums is like writing a letter and then throwing it in the trash?

There isn't anyone reading here except other users, like yourself, and those trying to help those users with problems. Nobody reading your message has anything to do with product design decisions.

Customer comments are important and Microsoft does provide a feedback mechanism where you can post your comments. These comments are passed on to the product development teams.

Here is a link to that feedback website.

Speak to us at Microsoft

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:43 PM
  •  

Hi,

In Windows Vista, The task pane which appeared on the side of the folder in previous versions of Windows does not exist.

You can refer to the following article to delete a file or folder now:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/79607f51-a427-4ae2-90cf-5c1b8c68534e1033.mspx

If you create a new folder and then press F5 to refresh, folders will be reordered according to the alphabets. If you would like to find the folder you just create, either type the folder name in the Search bar or following the steps below:

1.    Click Organize -> Layout -> put a check before the Menu Bar.

2.    Click View -> Group By -> Date modified.

Then you can easily find the folder you just created/modified.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi

I know that your frustrated, but posting feedback on technical support forums is like writing a letter and then throwing it in the trash?

There isn't anyone reading here except other users, like yourself, and those trying to help those users with problems. Nobody reading your message has anything to do with product design decisions.

Customer comments are important and Microsoft does provide a feedback mechanism where you can post your comments. These comments are passed on to the product development teams.

Here is a link to that feedback website.

Speak to us at Microsoft

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:43 PM
  •  

Hi,

In Windows Vista, The task pane which appeared on the side of the folder in previous versions of Windows does not exist.

You can refer to the following article to delete a file or folder now:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/79607f51-a427-4ae2-90cf-5c1b8c68534e1033.mspx

If you create a new folder and then press F5 to refresh, folders will be reordered according to the alphabets. If you would like to find the folder you just create, either type the folder name in the Search bar or following the steps below:

1.    Click Organize -> Layout -> put a check before the Menu Bar.

2.    Click View -> Group By -> Date modified.

Then you can easily find the folder you just created/modified.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Yea, sometimes I just lose it when I think about Microsoft's practices.  I know this is not exactly the place to post about that.

Tim , thank you for the suggestions.   Sure, there are ways to find those new files, but my point was that they are not as efficient as in XP. 

Ronnie, thanks for the feedback link, I will definitely use that.

I'm sure the people @ Msoft know by now that they've made many office workers miserable.  And I'm sure they are perfectly capable of creating a fully customizable OS.  They just don't want to.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:31 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:31 AM