none
DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a DPM 2010 Server which is doing extremely strange things.  It says I am running out of disk space, my allocated disk is 12TB and the actual used space is 7TB.  I can't see which server is taking up more capacity than it should and am stuck as to what to do next.  I know the replica volume needs to be modified but none of the servers are taking up the additional 3TB of space, so where has this space gone?

Many thanks

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Once disk space is allocated to a replica or recovery point volume that space cannot be used by anything else.  Even if you decide to reduce the retention period - the space that is freed up is only on that volume and is never returned to the storage pool.  The only supported method of getting space back in the storage pool is to shrink the recovery point volume if it's over-allocated.

You can download the shrink-diskpart.zip file from the following location.  This may be updated at a later time and is supplied as-is.

http://1drv.ms/1vICq9l

It has three modes of operation and will prompt to select one during execution.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes:

Recovery points are counted by days with successful recovery points regardless of how many recoivery points are taken on any given day.  So, if you took 8 recovery points a day (counting express full and incremental) for 14 days, that would equal 112 recovery points. On the 15th day, we would delete 8.  If you missed a few days where no RP's were made, then those days would not count toward the 14 days and we would not prune any.   So you could actually see RP from 17 days ago, but still not have 14 days of recovery points, so no pruning would occur.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:22 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply but I am unable to extend the size of the replica volume as it says there is insufficient space on the storage pool disks to allocate the replica and recovery point volumes, even though the report I ran says I have 3TB of disk space free.  What is going on there?

Cheers

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

From DPM powershell window, please run these two commands and share the output with me.

Type Get-dpmdisk then run diskpart.exe followed by List Disk - then type exit.

The above will detail windows disks and dpm storage pool disks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:51 PM