Upgrade SharePoint Services 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I'm green as green can be when it comes to SharePoint and SQL, so please bare with me. I have a server running windows server 2003 standard SP2 32bit. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Version 8.00.760, Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Version 11.0.8164. The server was a DC in a single domain forest. I was in the process of decommissioning this server and had transferred all the FSMO roles to my PDC, and then demoted the server from being a DC to just a member server. The only thing I left running on this server was our corporate intranet, which subsequently stopped working after demoting it. I have a bare metal backup of the server and have restored it to another stand alone box in the hopes of restoring the SharePoint site and its database, which brings me to my questions. What effects will there be by simply restoring the SharePoint and SQL database from a bare metal backup that was taken while the server was still a DC to a server tha is no longer a DC? Also the SharePoint site is quite old and needs to be updated, and I see that SharePoint designer 2007 is now offered for free, so I was wondering if it was possible to update our current site while on the bare metal backup and then once it's upgraded migrate it to a new production server with similar OS and hardware, but a different name?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• You will have to create a new config on a new server. Yes you can use the same databases. And yes if the Version is 11.0.8164 it has to be Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with SP3 not 3.0. In WSS 3.0 the versions start with 12.

What do you mean by update? What are you trying to update using SharePoint Designer?

Regards, Vishwas
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:37 AM
  • HI,

Yes you can restore it in that way and for upgrade I would suggest that once you have restored you can upgrade.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:34 AM
  • You'll be able to attach the database to a new WSS 3.0 application.  There's no point restoring the Config database as these are virtually differeent for each deployment.

On top of what Rashu has mentioned, what direction are you taking with the Upgrade.  If you want to upgrade to SharePoint 2010, please note that WSS will only upgrade to SharePoint 2010 foundation, MOSS Standard to SP2010 Standard and so on.

On the issues of Designer, depends what you want to do.  SPD2007 is a hybrid administration / power user tool.  It stops short of offering the full development capacity of Visual Studio.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:16 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You will have to create a new config on a new server. Yes you can use the same databases. And yes if the Version is 11.0.8164 it has to be Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with SP3 not 3.0. In WSS 3.0 the versions start with 12.

What do you mean by update? What are you trying to update using SharePoint Designer?

Regards, Vishwas
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:37 AM
  • HI,

Yes you can restore it in that way and for upgrade I would suggest that once you have restored you can upgrade.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:34 AM
  • You'll be able to attach the database to a new WSS 3.0 application.  There's no point restoring the Config database as these are virtually differeent for each deployment.

On top of what Rashu has mentioned, what direction are you taking with the Upgrade.  If you want to upgrade to SharePoint 2010, please note that WSS will only upgrade to SharePoint 2010 foundation, MOSS Standard to SP2010 Standard and so on.

On the issues of Designer, depends what you want to do.  SPD2007 is a hybrid administration / power user tool.  It stops short of offering the full development capacity of Visual Studio.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:16 AM
    Answerer