none
BMR process for full system recovery, am I understanding this correctly? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on some documentation around a DR process and I'm not sure that I'm understanding the BMR process correctly. Or at least, it doesn't seem terribly elegant for server with more than one drive.  The process as I understand it goes like this:

- System Image Recovery of BMR image for system drive

- Boot the new server having recovered only the system drive

- Restore the other drives from DPM into the newly restored system

Is that right?  Does that sound ... awkward to anyone else?  If there's a way to restore additional drives while you're doing the System Image Recovery, I can't find it.  If I'm wrong, please tell me.  In this case I would love to be wrong.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

You have understood the process correctly!

When you protect a server using BMR you back up the operating system files and all data (except user data) on critical volumes only.

Which volumes are critical then? The answer is all the volumes that contains the files and configuration for the OS that your server needs to function. In most cases only the C:\.

So what you are restoring with a BMR-recovery is only the state of your server operation system. Not user- or data-files which have to be restored separately.

I hope this answers your question!

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

You have understood the process correctly!

When you protect a server using BMR you back up the operating system files and all data (except user data) on critical volumes only.

Which volumes are critical then? The answer is all the volumes that contains the files and configuration for the OS that your server needs to function. In most cases only the C:\.

So what you are restoring with a BMR-recovery is only the state of your server operation system. Not user- or data-files which have to be restored separately.

I hope this answers your question!

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, May 7, 2015 11:13 AM
  • Thanks Markus, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.  I guess my next step is to log a feature request  ;)

Thanks again,

Mike.

Friday, May 8, 2015 12:58 AM