none
Cumulative Update KB3194496 for Insider Preview on Release Preview Ring .

Question

• That will bring your Insider Preview build to 14393.222 for PC and 14393.221 for Mobile on Release Preview Ring

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:06 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:07 PM

Answers

• Sadly, it refuses to install on my laptop, It gets to around 96% and then rolls back.

I've tried the usual tricks which have solved this kind of problem in the past; namely turning off Wi-Fi, using an Ethernet cable and disabling my antivirus/security software. No joy this time.

I am stuck :-(

Here's what worked for me on 2 Win10 units that were stuck in the 'endless loop' update. Many others have reported this successfully corrects the problem:

(from an earlier post)

Thanks all. FINALLY got it to work for me following the footsteps of others who have gone down this path:

• delete folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave
    • delete registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
    • Re-run the update

Tried all the other methods that were suggested by others and they did not work for me. This was some fun figuring this all out. NOT!!!

Many thanks to the community!

Monday, October 03, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• I apologize.

My initial post was misleading.

The cumulative update is meant for Insider Preview build for PC and Mobile on Release Preview Ring .

I edited the original post.

Thank you.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Copy from Feedback Hub :

We have released Cumulative Update to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile on Release Preview Ring which will bring the build number to 14393.222 for PC and 14393.221 for Mobile (KB3194496).  This Cumulative Update contains the following fixes:

• Improved reliability of the Windows Update Agent, shared drives, virtual private network (VPN), clustering, HTTP downloads, Internet Explorer 11, Hyper-V platform, multimedia playback, and Microsoft Edge.
    • Improved performance of push and local notifications, Hyper-V platform, and some social media websites using Microsoft Edge.
    • Addressed issue where mapping a drive from an elevated command prompt doesn’t work with administrator credentials.
    • Addressed issue causing movies that were ripped using the transport stream (.ts) format to play without sound in Windows Media Player and the Xbox One Media Player app.
    • Addressed issue causing the Movies & TV app on the Xbox to stop working when attempting to play content that was just purchased from the Store.
    • Improved support for networks by adding new entries to the Access Point Name (APN) database.
    • Addressed issue causing “Print all linked documents” to not work in Internet Explorer 11.
    • Addressed issue preventing some users from changing the default download location in Windows 10 Mobile.
    • Addressed issue causing unnecessary notifications about fixing Microsoft account in Windows 10 Mobile.
    • Addressed additional issues with multimedia, Windows kernel, Windows shell, enterprise security, storage file system, Remote Desktop, core platform, Hyper-V platform, Windows Update for Business, display kernel, near field communication (NFC), input and composition, Bluetooth, Microsoft Lync 2010 compatibility, Windows Storage API, app registration, Trusted Platform Module, Group Policy, Internet Explorer 11, virtual private network (VPN), BitLocker, wireless networking, datacenter networking, Cortana, PowerShell, Active Directory, connection manager and data usage, Microsoft Edge, Windows Recovery Environment, file clustering, Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, audio playback settings, DShow Bridge, app compatibility, licensing, cloud infrastructure, domain name system (DNS) server, network controller, USB barcode reader, and Adobe Flash Player.

This Cumulative Update is the same for both PC and Mobile except that for PC, it includes an additional fix to improve the reliability of downloading games (like Forza Horizon 3) and game updates from the Windows Store.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:10 AM
  • Sadly, it refuses to install on my laptop, It gets to around 96% and then rolls back.

I've tried the usual tricks which have solved this kind of problem in the past; namely turning off Wi-Fi, using an Ethernet cable and disabling my antivirus/security software. No joy this time.

• Proposed as answer by mhixson Monday, October 03, 2016 6:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mhixson Monday, October 03, 2016 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Also cannot install this update (KB3194496)
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:05 AM
  • me neither
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Also cannot install this update (KB3194496)

Error 0x800f0922

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Same issue on my main PC at home alas. Will try removing the AV (Webroot) and see if that makes any difference.

Webmaster / Editor in Chief of: www.smartphonegurus.com Windows Phone MVP

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Tried thrice and failed to install all three times. Got to 99% and then rolled back.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Failed install for me too:

Download seem stuck for quite a while at 95% first time, second time at 100%. Waiting it will eventually install and request reboot.

After reboot, it installs up to 99% after which it fails and rolls-back (after reboot)

Event log only states it failed to set the update installed bit.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:33 PM
  • Same issue here: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Can anyone who it has installed for successfully share what worked for them?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Have 2 almost identical Windows 10 installations, one as Pro, the other as Home.

Both are running under VMware Workstation 12.1.1.

The Pro edition installed the Update to v 14393.222 without any problems.

The Home edition could not install the update. It rolls back after reboot.

HTH

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:34 PM
  • The automatic install completed except my PC hung on reboot.  After I power cycled my PC, it booted normally.  The Windows version now shows to be 14393.222.  I will let you know if I notice any problems.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:43 PM
  • Same issue on my main PC at home alas. Will try removing the AV (Webroot) and see if that makes any difference.

Removed Webroot, still no go alas.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:32 PM
  • I cant either install KB3194496
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:20 PM
  • Same on my Surface Pro 3
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:12 AM
  • Hey guys.

Have you post your problem to Feedback Hub ?

You should, if you have not yet done so.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:22 AM
  • I have loaded 14393 on a laptop and PC.  No issues with the download or the install here.  It took the usual amount of time.

I did however run into a ridiculously odd problem on the laptop.  KeyLemon, the facial recognition software can not communicate with the laptop's camera.  I started another thread on this issue.  KeyLemon uses ffmpeg.exe.  I suspect that's the root of the problem.

Can anyone else find a camera problem with this release? 

Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:08 AM
  • Hi David,

Let's wait to see if there is standalone package for downloading later. So far, there is official source for download or any article to describe this KB.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:39 AM
  • I have loaded 14393 on a laptop and PC.  No issues with the download or the install here.  It took the usual amount of time.

I did however run into a ridiculously odd problem on the laptop.  KeyLemon, the facial recognition software can not communicate with the laptop's camera.  I started another thread on this issue.  KeyLemon uses ffmpeg.exe.  I suspect that's the root of the problem.

Can anyone else find a camera problem with this release? 

Hmm I wonder if it is worth my removing my camera and then trying again.

Webmaster / Editor in Chief of: www.smartphonegurus.com

Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Probably not. The camera problem only crops up when the program executes. However, one old trick not related to this problem specifically is unplugging any nonessential devices when things go wrong. Maybe it would be worth trying again with all USB devices disconnected. I would also remove secondary video cards and sound devices. This approach is just my first order of business when something won't load or a machine will not boot. Also, once I got a reluctant machine to boot by switching from the UEFI BIOS to the legacy BIOS.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:05 PM
  • This update is failing for many, many people on PC.  14393.222 has gone through download, installation, completion to 100%, and then "We couldn't complete the updates"  "Undoing changes".  This has happened on all 12 of my test machines...  I have gone through the process of installing the update at least 10 times on each machine and it fails every time.

Why is there no telemetry being logged and evaluated and a fix pushed out?  Come on Microsoft Updates can't fail, or cause more problems than they resolve.

Quite honestly the Insider Program has suffered without Gabe Aul, and Windows 10 updates must get much better.

Talmage D. Holt

Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Also tried 3 times and failed to install all three times. It got to 99% and then rolled back.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Also tried multiple times. The first time, though, the computer went into a boot loop, rebooting over and over again for hours.  I finally went to bed and woke up the next morning finding that the update had been rolled back.  Same behavior as above since.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:34 PM
  • just installed the same on my Lenovo x220, went smoothly now showing version 14393.222

everything is working fine , lets see if I find anything else

Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Why is this update getting pushed to computers not enrolled into Insider Preview program? And no single pointer to KB article itself, error details or troubleshooting steps from Microsoft!

Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Umar, could you load KeyLemon on your Laptop and let me know if it recognizes the camera?  It wont on my Lenovo. All else is okay.

https://www.keylemon.com/app/#app-download

Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Impossible to install it on my PC. I tried several times and it always rolled back. Did someone find a way to install it?
    • Proposed as answer by Baldwija Friday, September 30, 2016 2:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Baldwija Friday, September 30, 2016 2:36 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:38 PM
  • it begin to download KB3194496 and stay downloading at 84%. then it dont finish to download.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Another cannot install issue here - updates almost complete then "We Couldn't Complete the Updates - Undoing Changes".  I've tried all the steps below but no luck after 6 failed update efforts. 

Event log reports: "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)."

I ran both the local Troubleshooter and this Windows 10 Updates troubleshooter: http://aka.ms/diag_wu  
    Both report:  "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected - Not Fixed".

I also tried the manual steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 (Sigh... been using this Since Windows XP)

And the DISM tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth   (completed successfully - had no affect).

Friday, September 30, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Guys,

I read it in Microsoft Community forums that MS Teams are aware of your problem and are working for a fix.

So, stop trying. Let MS figure out the solution.

Adding : My Win 10 Home version 1607 received KB3194496 and it was installed without a glitch.
    Maybe MS has figured out the problem, otherwise I would not have received the update.

See my other thread.........

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9420e149-dd9b-4649-b591-8930a6a1b378/im-not-an-insider-but-i-am-just-receiving-and-downloaing-kb3194496-what-gives-?forum=win10itprosetup
    • Edited by david hk129 Friday, September 30, 2016 1:11 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 1:10 AM
  • I just tried installing for first time, it was ready to install when I opened Windows Update, i watched and seemed like it was going to work, then at last minute it said reverting changes, update couldn't install, few min passed, saw flash of Windows, then the screen came back reverting changes, few more min and i was at login, I opened event log, saw the windows update error, popped into my old friend, my pain, my love Google and it took me to you guys.

Sigh

Went to Windows update and it was downloading again, the failed update, now it wants to install.

What do y'all think, am i feeling lucky or will i be saddled with disappointment (and another 15 min wasted from my life while i stare, lifelessly at the screen)

It's not an anti-virus thing, i don't have any running, just smartscreen turned on, i don't have a crapped up computer either, it may just be a bum update, and why us preview lovers feel the pain first.

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:25 AM
  • Something has got to be wrong with this update. I have now 10 Failed to installs on my laptop. Gets to 99% and rolled back every time no matter what tricks I tried,
    Friday, September 30, 2016 3:48 AM
  • I would say it's time to stick a fork in it until Microsoft fixes this cycle sucking void they call an update.  You have convinced me to hold off, going to disable windows updates until i hear from our Redmond Friends.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 4:04 AM
  • Install worked fine however it took a long to to go though the motions!  Though there was an issue but no, all good...
    Friday, September 30, 2016 4:48 AM
  • Multiple failures here also.  Please post in this thread when it is time to try again.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hung at 95% progress bar...and went back to "We'll automatically install updates when you aren't using your device, or you can install them now if you want."

Won't do anything stupid with the stupid update delivery.

Hi! there..

Friday, September 30, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Live release version (not preview)Stuck @ 70% for 30 minutes, came back - asked for restart, tried to install (the "Do not screen") for 1h. Result failed.

Failed: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)

Friday, September 30, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Hello there! I didn’t have any problems with my new Cumulative Update KB3194496. It took really long time to download and install though.
    I guess, you just need to wait until it finishes itself. Be patient!
    Now i have 14393.222.
    I did install on my desktop pc and laptop, both went well.
    Good luck guys!
    Czecher

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:05 PM
  • This worked after repeated failed downloads.. No issues so far Go to Setting -> Windows update select update history Note the last cumulative update for window 10 KB number (mine was KB3193494) Select uninstall updates and remove your last cumulative update. You need to restart once removed. Go back into Windows update and select the check for updates button. It took 2hrs to download at 1.3 Mbps
    Friday, September 30, 2016 2:49 PM
  • This worked after repeated failed downloads.. No issues so far Go to Setting -> Windows update select update history Note the last cumulative update for window 10 KB number (mine was KB3193494) Select uninstall updates and remove your last cumulative update. You need to restart once removed. Go back into Windows update and select the check for updates button. It took 2hrs to download at 1.3 Mbps
    • Proposed as answer by Baldwija Friday, September 30, 2016 2:54 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Tried the above suggestion of removing the previous cumulative update and retrying to install the new one--and it was an epic fail. I removed the previous cumulative update, rebooted, and tried to reinstall the newer one, and now the new one STILL won't install, leaving my system in a more insecure state than it was before.

So, now, thanks to this issue and a suggestion that made things worse on my computer, my system has even more vulnerabilities, and so will anyone else who tries the above suggested workaround and it fails.  That should make the cracking hackers happy!

UPDATE:

Oh, and it gets worse.  Tried to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it gives the following error:

"Service registration is missing or corrupt.  Not fixed."

Nice!  Thanks!!!

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Tried the above suggestion of removing the previous cumulative update and retrying to install the new one--and it was an epic fail. I removed the previous cumulative update, rebooted, and tried to reinstall the newer one, and now the new one STILL won't install, leaving my system in a more insecure state than it was before.

You can download the previous CU from the Microsoft Update Catalog using the URL below.  The link is for the KB3193494 CU released on 9/20 which is just a repackage of the KB3189866 CU originally released on 9/13 (Patch Tuesday).

You'll need to paste the following link into Internet Explorer since the Update Catalog doesn't work with Edge.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3193494

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Hi, Everyone

I don't know if this will make any difference regarding the failure of installing KB3194496.

Here are the direct download links for 32-bit and 64-bit

64 bit KB3194496 download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/...2665aad56e.cab

32 bit KB3194496 download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...a95cfd78e6.cab

Maybe, just maybe, direct download link works better than via Windows Update.

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:54 PM
  • I have managed to load the update but I noticed it failed twice whilst AVG was performing a scan......I stopped the scan and it loaded successfully......now however if I run a scan my laptop reboots!!! So I will uninstall it and disable windows update until it is rectified.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi, Everyone

I don't know if this will make any difference regarding the failure of installing KB3194496.

Here are the direct download links for 32-bit and 64-bit

64 bit KB3194496 download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/...2665aad56e.cab

32 bit KB3194496 download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...a95cfd78e6.cab

Maybe, just maybe, direct download link works better than via Windows Update.

Something in the update itself is not right.  Manually loading the CAB with DISM fails at 100% & then rolls back still.

Friday, September 30, 2016 11:30 PM
  • Same issue, gets almost all the way through, then fails and uninstalls the update.
    Saturday, October 01, 2016 12:42 AM
  • After reboot to install the (KB3194496) it shows >90% done, before it decides to abort and restore.
    Saturday, October 01, 2016 8:34 AM
  • On my new dell laptop it will not install, tried 3 times did the old fix where you stop windows update service and delete C:\windows\Software Distribution and tried again and it still didn't work.

On my wife's older dell it installed with no issues and we have the same version 1607.

Saturday, October 01, 2016 3:41 PM
  • I also had several failures.

I eventually got Task Manager working and found that It was the CaptureLibService - running from Freemake Video convertor running my CPU at 99%. I stopped the process. Uninstalled the Freemake software, restarted and updated successfully , 100%.

Saturday, October 01, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Also not working for me
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 5:10 AM
  • For me it installed on my Toshiba i3 touch screen laptop, but refuses to install on my Vaio i5

Sunday, October 02, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Guys i need some serious help. well, in my case, i've installed kb3194496 update on my ASUS ROG gl502vs, it looked like the installation was finished but then it started restarting over and over again. when i open updates settings it appears that this update is still downloading but within 10 minutes it restarts and the download starts from 0%. and this happens over and over again. i can't even use my laptop for more than 10 minutes. do you think this is the update issue or something else?
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 10:37 AM
  • Use Media Creation Tool. It installs Windows 10 iso including latest updates. It takes longer but at the end everything is fine with 14393.222 installed and working. Then there are other updates requested including (it is weird) kb3194496 but no restart is requested.
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 11:22 AM
  • This did not work for me, ended up with xx93.0 instead
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 2:53 PM
  • I had the same problem as being reported for the last 3 days.

1a. What I did to fix the problem was to download the Windows 10 version 1607 ISO file from https://mdsn.microsoft.com.

1b. If you don't have a subscription, you can also use the Media Creation Tool that can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10.

Click on the Download tool now button and an create ISO image.

NOTE: This tool cannot be used if you are using Windows 10 Enterprise edition, as it is intended to be used for Windows 10 Pro or Home edition.

2. Double click on the ISO file and then from File Explorer, double click the setup.exe file.

3. Go through in the upgrade process, but make sure that you select Download and install updates.

NOTE: This upgrade process will take some time to complete.

4. Once the upgrade complete, login and click the Cortana button and type WINVER and press Enter.

5. You should see the following window:

GOOD LUCK

NOTE: As of October 2, 2016, build 14393.222 is the most current build.

Sunday, October 02, 2016 4:11 PM
  • I had the same problem as being reported for the last 3 days.

1a. What I did to fix the problem was to download the Windows 10 version 1607 ISO file from https://mdsn.microsoft.com.

The install from ISO will download the latest Cumulative Update (CU) prior to updating the OS so evidently that route doesn't have the same download/install issue as just doing the CU.  Let's hope MSFT doesn't start suggesting this method as some standard workaround for ongoing CU issues.  It certainly wouldn't be an acceptable answer to the problem.
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 6:09 PM
  • This did not work for me, ended up with xx93.0 instead

Were you connected to the Internet and allowed updates during the install?
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 6:10 PM
  • To those opting to try using MCT............

There were reports of successful installation by simply selecting the "Update now" button.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, October 02, 2016 6:11 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2016 6:11 PM
  • Here is what finally worked for me.

• delete registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
    • Re-run the update

• Proposed as answer by Malfatto Monday, October 03, 2016 6:09 AM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 2:56 AM

• delete registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
    • Re-run the update

This worked perfectly for me.
    Monday, October 03, 2016 8:54 AM

• Re-run the update

This worked for me too. Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by ml_CH Monday, October 03, 2016 9:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ml_CH Monday, October 03, 2016 9:53 AM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 9:41 AM

• Re-run the update

This worked also for me.

Before 3 times without success and always the computer was blocked for 0.5h.
    (But imagine: When I have a meeting with a client and the update installs / roll-back..... and I have to wait....)

Monday, October 03, 2016 10:01 AM

• Re-run the update

Just wow! Worked like a charm. How on earth did you solve this?! Much kudos to you

Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.222)

Monday, October 03, 2016 10:45 AM
  • This also worked for me. Great job finding the issue
    Monday, October 03, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Will test this now.

Question is, what does this break?

Scheduling syncing of save games or something?

NLS

Monday, October 03, 2016 12:45 PM
  • This worked for my Windows 10 Pro machine when the update would not install:

Delete the folder
     C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave on the system. (Please note that you can only do so with elevated privileges.)

Delete the Registry key
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave

Dr. Technical

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -- Arthur C. Clarke

• Edited by DrTechnical Monday, October 03, 2016 12:53 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Removing the XblGameSave folder and registry key also worked for one of my x64 machines.

Thanks!
    Monday, October 03, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Will test this now.

Question is, what does this break?

Scheduling syncing of save games or something?

NLS

...and back.

Deleting the folder and key, did not work for me.

System back to .187.

NLS

Monday, October 03, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Here is a simple workaround how to install KB3194496 properly.

Simply using a Windows 10-DVD/memory stick to refresh the system. KB3194496 will be installed without any problems and the system will run version 14393,222. All prior programs and settings will be taken on.

That's just all.

• Edited by gur_helios Monday, October 03, 2016 1:43 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 1:43 PM

• Re-run the update

Brilliant Fix, thanks a lot

mjolnarn

• Proposed as answer by mhixson Monday, October 03, 2016 6:57 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 2:16 PM

• Re-run the update

This also worked for me.  How did you come up with or find this fix??
    Monday, October 03, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Yes.  This worked for me as well.  Delete both the XblGameSave folder and registry key.  Found it online.  Here's the link:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/30/cumulative-windows-10-update-kb3194496-installation-issues/

Monday, October 03, 2016 6:41 PM

Here's what worked for me on 2 Win10 units that were stuck in the 'endless loop' update. Many others have reported this successfully corrects the problem:

(from an earlier post)

Thanks all. FINALLY got it to work for me following the footsteps of others who have gone down this path:

• delete registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
    • Re-run the update

Tried all the other methods that were suggested by others and they did not work for me. This was some fun figuring this all out. NOT!!!

Many thanks to the community!

Monday, October 03, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Looks like this updated busted my VPN.

Just using 'Incoming Connections' in Network

Worked fine for a couple of months since Win 10 upgrade (from Win 7), but mysteriously busted now.

Anyone else?

Monday, October 03, 2016 8:44 PM
  • This also worked for me.  The update now says it successfully installed.
    Monday, October 03, 2016 11:27 PM
  • Waiting has nothing to do with it _CzEcHeR_.  You can wait till hell freezes over, and it still don't install.  I've had over 13 failed install attempts, and the great magic cure also didn't work, but I made a restore point, so I'll just restore, stop the cycle until a MS cure is posted, or a rock from space falls on my computer.

Magic Cure = 

• Re-run the update

P.S. no need to reply to this, I also did everything else that is normal on one of these failed updates, including downloading it, and trying a manual install, DISM, scannow, etc......

Sloe

• Edited by Slow Joe Tuesday, October 04, 2016 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2016 6:25 AM
  • Just login to thanks, this method totally works for me. Windows 10 Pro.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2016 10:40 AM
  • anyone that is still having  (KB3194496) issues.

Well I found a fix, and it does not require hacking your Registry.  after several failed attempts at resolving this issue. This morning I was on the ##windows chat line, and someone was explaining how to update their computer without resetting it and losing everthing.  I've used the Media Creation Tool many times, but only for downloading the ISO, and doing a re-install, i've never used the update feature on it.  Well I downloaded the latest version and ran the update feature and (boy it took almost 13 hours), when it was completed it had fixed the KB3194496 issue, and all was uptodate.

For anyone where the the magic cure didn't work, maybe this will.

Later,

Slow Joe

P.S. I did have to leave during this process so the 13 hours might have been less had I been here to interact with procedure.

• Edited by Slow Joe Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2016 12:21 AM
  • Neowin posted a workaround claiming that it will fix the failure of installing KB3194496.

Source

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:52 AM
  • It works!!! Thanks
    Wednesday, October 05, 2016 7:01 PM
  • "Works" is a relative term. How about a series of updates over the last few weeks that disable NAS? This is one of them. And even after rolling it back, the problem persists. Third update that has done this, and this is the worst.
    Sunday, October 09, 2016 2:24 AM