none
Is it possible to install FIM2010 Service and Portal when there is NO Exchange server in use. RRS feed

• Question

• We are wanting to use the Portal, RCDC forms and so on with the FIM Sync Service.

We need to install FIM Service part of the FIM 2010 install package, but as there is no requirement for Email, there is NO Exchange Server in existance.

Can we just leave the dialog which prompts us for the Exchange Server name blank?Is an Exchange Server Mandatory for FIM 2010?

So far we have never met a basic provision AD no-mail accounts requirement.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:08 AM

Answers

• HI Harold

Ofcourse the Exchange Server is Optional and is only required for Authorization Workflows where you need FIM to send an approval email. IF you dont need that you can leave this field blank, and you can configure this anytime later. When you have an Exchange in place.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:29 AM

All replies

• HI Harold

Ofcourse the Exchange Server is Optional and is only required for Authorization Workflows where you need FIM to send an approval email. IF you dont need that you can leave this field blank, and you can configure this anytime later. When you have an Exchange in place.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Just to be correct - it is not an Exchange which is required but e-mail server. Which might be SMTP. And if you will ask me this is a bug ... in approval activity.

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:13 PM
  • What I've done in Stage/Test environments is have it point to "localhost" without SSL or polling (unchecked exchange boxes).

You could then specify a fake address name (i.e. FIMPortal@localhost.local) and run a simple SMTP service or listener.

SMTP4DEV [CodePlex] seems to work great as it implements enough of the SMTP protocol to talk and accept mail messages from FIM without delivering them.

This is good if you don't have a requirement for mail, but want to ensure that the FIMService isn't erroring out due to Notification Workflow.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:42 PM