none
What is the default for short 8.3 file name support? RRS feed

• Question

• On a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10, what will be the state of support for short 8.3 file names?
      - disabled on all partitions?
      - enabled on some partitions (which?)?
      - enabled on all partitions?

Trying to find this answer with web searches have given me every possible answer. If possible, please cite an authoritative source.

Thanks,
        ++PLS

Monday, July 1, 2019 6:30 AM

All replies

• Each time you create a new file on Windows, the operating system also generates an MS-DOS-compatible short file name in 8.3 format, to allow MS-DOS-based or 16-bit Windows-based programs to access files which have a long name.

The use of 8.3 file names and directories for all long file names and directories on NTFS partitions may decrease directory enumeration performance. An 8.3-compliant file name refers to MS-DOS file-naming conventions.These conventions restrict file names to eight characters and optional extensions to three characters.

Note: Although disabling 8.3 file name creation increases file performance under Windows, some applications (16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit) may not be able to find files and directories that have long file names.

Source:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/121007/how-to-disable-8-3-file-name-creation-on-ntfs-partitions

Also check: Short vs. Long Names

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#short-vs-long-names

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:25 AM
  • >Each time you create a new file on Windows, the operating system also generates an MS-DOS-compatible short file name in 8.3 format

Well, yes, **if short file name support is enabled**.

My question is, is it enabled by default or not, on which versions of Windows?

For example, on my personal Windows 10 pro, the global setting was 2 (per volume) with the C: (system) volume having short names turned on and the other partitions having them turned off.

I just did a VM install of Win 10 v1803 and find the global setting is 2 with c: turned on. In this case I have no other partitions to check.

Somewhere there has to be a table shows these defaults. Is the server version different? Is the home version different? What does the workstation version do?

Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:43 PM