Asp.net session has expired RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have designed reports using SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio tool (Sql Server reporting service).  I have uploaded these reports to report manager.

I am displaying list of reports in tree view control, in my application. I am viewing report in Report Viewer control as per the report selection in tree view control, in same page. I am getting

Server Error in '/Application_name' Application or

• ASP.NET session has expired error frequently while switching between various reports.  Kindly provide me solution
  • Regards

Sagayaraj Rayappan

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:27 PM

All replies

• Are you reseting the Report Path each time they click on an item or are you saving the ExecutionID off?  You will need to set the report path each time and not try and use the existed execution ID unless you can keep the session alive yourself.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I am resetting Report Path each time when we clicked on an item. How to keep the session alive myself?. What is ExecutionID and how to use it?. Kindly give more details on this.

Friday, July 14, 2006 3:45 PM
  • You do not want to use the ExecutionID, I just wanted to rule that out first.

Is the error occuring from within the report viewer or the entire page?

Monday, July 17, 2006 6:10 PM
  • This error occurs for entire page.
    Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:52 AM
  • Since the error occurs on the entire page, this points to an issue in your app.  If it was the report server session that had the timeout, the error would occur within the viewer (you would still see the toolbar.  Try removing the viewer control and replacing it with a simple control and see if the problem persists.
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 5:19 PM
  • Hi i am also getting the same error.In my web page i refer the reportviewer and showing different reports.While navigate to different reports randomly i am getting this error.

Can anyone suggest how to solve this???

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.AspNetSessionExpiredException: ASP.NET session has expired

[AspNetSessionExpiredException: ASP.NET session has expired]
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataOperation..ctor() +683
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.GetHandler() +553
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +10
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +154
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Thanks in advance,Tom

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:57 AM
  •  Daniel Reib wrote:
    Since the error occurs on the entire page, this points to an issue in your app.  If it was the report server session that had the timeout, the error would occur within the viewer (you would still see the toolbar.  Try removing the viewer control and replacing it with a simple control and see if the problem persists.

Hi I'm getting this error from with the ReportViewer control... I've tried to change the session timeout with the following code but it still times out earlier then the timeout value stated...??? Is there some other attribute that needs to be changed also??

rs -i sessionTimeout.rss -s http://localhost/reportserver -v timeout="6000"

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:40 AM
  • Did you get a solution to this?  The setting you have changed is on the reportserver, your problem is on the app that contains the reportviewer.  Look at my post here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=371287&SiteID=1&PageID=2

Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Hi Mark,

My issue was slightly different. Because of the nature of our reporting system, users may leave a report open for a long period of time (maybe hours) and then come back to it and attempt to run a drillthrouhgh report from where they left off.

My solution to this was to increase the session timeout in the application pool which has worked well. I'm lucky I guess that the user base for the system is very small, i.e. no more than twenty users, so we should run into any resource issues (finger crossed).

Regards,

Rob.

Friday, February 2, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  

Hi,

Even I need a help on this please. For me, I think the problem is with the report server session, because the error is occuring within the viewer which I have placed in the aspx page. Other than Resetting the reportviewer with Reportviewer.Reset(), Is there some thing else I can do? Mostly It happens when I keep the aspx page idle for some time and then I click on some other menu on the aspx page to display a different report thru same report viewer. Please help me to fix this. Urgent. We have a release on monday....!

with regards

Fayaz

Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:39 PM
  •  

Hi,

You can overcome this issue by increasing the Execution Time out value in web.Config files.

Check this forum for more details

http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3775922&SiteID=1

Monday, September 8, 2008 7:16 AM
    Answerer