Do we need Dell Support for PowerEdge 2850? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

We have a Poweredge 2850, which we purchased in Dec. 2005.  I'm trying to figure out if we should renew the Dell support contract for it; Does anyone have experience with whether or not the support contracts for servers are a good value?  How good is the Out of Warranty department, and do they have replacement parts, and can they repair a server if needed?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:44 PM

Answers

• Here is an easy way to find out - pull the power plug on it right now, and wait a few hours. ;)

If that sounds ridiculous, then it may be worth the investment. because, an out of warranty/support issue will do just that to you.

however, if its not that serious, I would suggest getting a new server. Servers are cheap now a days. And when you discount the cost of support contracts, its a no brainer.

Yes, I am assuming that its not a mission critical server - otherwise we would not be having this discussion.

FYI - How are your backups? When is the last time you tested your restores - data and procedure?

Regards.

*alex
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Cohen Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• The decision of renewing the server support contract will depend upon :

1. How critical is that server for your organization? 

2. How much downtime can you allow for that server?

3. What is the business impact if server is not available? 

Depend on this answers you can decide if you want to have support contract or not and what type. Otherwise Dell provides good support , further its depend upon which support you are opting for (24x7,9x5, 6 Hr CTR etc)

Good luck...

Vipul Raval 

• Proposed as answer by Rick Slager Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Here is an easy way to find out - pull the power plug on it right now, and wait a few hours. ;)

If that sounds ridiculous, then it may be worth the investment. because, an out of warranty/support issue will do just that to you.

however, if its not that serious, I would suggest getting a new server. Servers are cheap now a days. And when you discount the cost of support contracts, its a no brainer.

Yes, I am assuming that its not a mission critical server - otherwise we would not be having this discussion.

FYI - How are your backups? When is the last time you tested your restores - data and procedure?

Regards.

*alex
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Cohen Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:58 PM
  • I would reccomend you to go with IBM :) their service were always on time and professional. :) IBM X series support have yet to fail me.
    Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I've a lot of PowerEdge servers since 2004, but I'm not going to tell you if you need Dell Support or not, because I don't know if you run critical services on that machine. I also don't know if you can allow downtime. 

I'll tell you smth else: do consolidation and go virtual on R710 or similar. You will get better hardware utilization, power consumption and better performance too.

Hope this was helpful :)

Regards,

Igor

Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:55 PM
  • If you decide you need to renew the contract, I would highly recommend Dell support, if you get what used to be called "Silver" or "Gold" support. I've had occasion to call their server support on several occasions and they are quick, professional and get the issue resolved ASAP.

As others have pointed out, with the cost of servers these days, it just might be more cost effective to get a new one. Like it or not, a 6 year old server is a failure waiting to happen. If this is a mission critical server, it's a no-brainer... get a new one.

I would plan to replace it ASAP.

BTW, forget about Out of Warranty service. I've had them help me out in that situation, but the cost of any repairs will be prohibitive.

--------

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 5/4/2011 12:44 PM, rsheppard wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have a Poweredge 2850, which we purchased in Dec. 2005.  I'm trying to figure out if we should renew the Dell support contract for it; Does anyone have experience with whether or not the support contracts for servers are a good value?  How good is the Out of Warranty department, and do they have replacement parts, and can they repair a server if needed?

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
    • Proposed as answer by VT Basit Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by VT Basit Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:00 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 11:59 AM
  • I don't believe Dell will not offer support on a server this old except for time and material. 
    Friday, February 21, 2014 5:27 PM