none
Upgrade from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 new server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have searched this blog for suggestions and steps on what's the best way to upgrade from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 but none fit the environment I have. I currently have DPM 2007 with SP1 installed on a 32bit Windows 2003 server with direct attached storage, protecting an Exchange 2007 Enterprise.

I have already installed DPM 2010 on a separate server with Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise and its own direct attached storage. 

Which way would it be the best migration? Can I just uninstall the DPM 2007 agents from the Exchange cluster nodes and install the DPM 2010 agents and import everything from scratch? Is there a way to copy the replica volumes, etc. from the old server DAS to the new server DAS?

I mean what's the best way without creating a mess?

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:43 PM

Answers

• I would suggest keeping it as simple as possible (since its not an inplace upgrade), unless you have a strong reason to do so.

For a SG of size X, if you copy the data from the replica you'll need to transfer X over the backup network and then have to trigger a consistency check which is time consuming and heavyweight operation from a Exchange server perspective. and it can get messy if you copy the data to the wrong path.

It might actually turn out to be ok to transfer the X from the Exchange server. Initial replication is also time consuming and heavy, but in this case your chances of getting messy is significantly less. 

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Friday, April 15, 2011 7:15 PM