Hyper V Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we install only Hyper V on a blank or a naked hardware............?  Also can we install windows professional on the same Hypervisor...........?

If Yes, for both tell us how to do it.................?

Nagesh

Friday, July 5, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

• Hyper-V is a bare-metal hypervisor.  Microsoft Hyper-V Server (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/hyper-v-server/default.aspx) is a free download that installs on just the Hyper-V environment.  The server hardware has to be certified to support Windows Server 2012 (www.windowsservercatalog.com).  Hyper-V supports running all the Windows operating systems, desktop and server, going back quite a ways (http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831531.aspx).

However, based on the question, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience in working in the Windows environment.  Hyper-V Server does not have a GUI, so managing it could be pretty difficult for someone without the proper training/experience.

An alternate is to install Windows 8 on a Windows 8 certified desktop/laptop.  Hyper-V is a capability that you can add to this - part of the distribution, you simply add it.  Though you start by installing Windows 8, Hyper-V is a still a bare-metal hypervisor.  It actually inserts itself between the hardware and the Windows 8 operating system.  After it is installed, you still have the look and feel of Windows 8, but Hyper-V is running on the 'bare metal'.  At that point, you simply use the Hyper-V Management Console that is also installed to build a virtual machine running 'windows professional'.  Since you did not specify version, I don't know exactly what you mean by 'professional'.

If you do not want to do this with Windows 8, the same can be done with Windows Server 2012.  You did not provide any information about your environment, so it is hard to say exactly what you are trying to do.  But, from the way I interpret your question, it is all possible.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Proposed as answer by YahyaZahedi Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, July 15, 2013 2:37 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 3:29 PM
  • with server 2008r2 some advanced configurtions we should use server core options such as sconfig or powershell.but with 2012 there are more options.

Darshana Jayathilake

• Proposed as answer by YahyaZahedi Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:14 PM
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hyper-V is a bare-metal hypervisor.  Microsoft Hyper-V Server (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/hyper-v-server/default.aspx) is a free download that installs on just the Hyper-V environment.  The server hardware has to be certified to support Windows Server 2012 (www.windowsservercatalog.com).  Hyper-V supports running all the Windows operating systems, desktop and server, going back quite a ways (http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831531.aspx).

However, based on the question, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience in working in the Windows environment.  Hyper-V Server does not have a GUI, so managing it could be pretty difficult for someone without the proper training/experience.

An alternate is to install Windows 8 on a Windows 8 certified desktop/laptop.  Hyper-V is a capability that you can add to this - part of the distribution, you simply add it.  Though you start by installing Windows 8, Hyper-V is a still a bare-metal hypervisor.  It actually inserts itself between the hardware and the Windows 8 operating system.  After it is installed, you still have the look and feel of Windows 8, but Hyper-V is running on the 'bare metal'.  At that point, you simply use the Hyper-V Management Console that is also installed to build a virtual machine running 'windows professional'.  Since you did not specify version, I don't know exactly what you mean by 'professional'.

If you do not want to do this with Windows 8, the same can be done with Windows Server 2012.  You did not provide any information about your environment, so it is hard to say exactly what you are trying to do.  But, from the way I interpret your question, it is all possible.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Proposed as answer by YahyaZahedi Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:13 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 3:29 PM
  • As i understood you need to dual boot the server.its possbile ,because hyper-v server is also a kind of operating system.but its better if u cn install hyper-v and on top of that install vms.

Darshana Jayathilake

Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:05 PM
  • We have VMware environment so not familiar with MS Hyper V.

Do you mean no GUI interface for Hyper V windows Server 2008 R2?

I did a test install on my test server but I don't see GUI interface, I only can do some configuration in sconfig.cmd.

Is it a way to do a remote login to see GUI interface.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:12 PM
  • with server 2008r2 some advanced configurtions we should use server core options such as sconfig or powershell.but with 2012 there are more options.

Darshana Jayathilake

• Proposed as answer by YahyaZahedi Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:14 PM
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:27 PM