GuiRunOnce software installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I have recently encountered a strange problem in my Windows XP deployment attempts. 

The image is deployed using WDS and everything is working fine right until the [GuiRunOnce] phase where AutoLogon is on and it's logging on as the local admin. At this point it runs a batch which runs a .vbs which runs another batch (yes it's actually working this far ;) ). The last batch however is set to install two pieces of software (fingerprint and bluetooth) silently, but as far as I can see it only installs part of the bluetooth software and skips the fingerprint completely.

Now, you might think "Well, have you tested the silent installations before? Maybe the syntax is incorrect?". Yes I have, and the strange thing is that it is working fine in two scenarios:

1. If the computer is not joined to the domain (just workgroup) during Mini setup the installations run fine.

2. If the computer (this time joined to domain) is restarted once more and then I run the script it works fine aswell.

Someone must have encountered this problem before..?

Thanks alot in advance!

/J

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi SenneVL!

Thanks alot for your reply. I viewed the installation logs and got the awesome error message: "This software is not supported on this hardware" (or something like that), and that's all.

I did, however, take your advice on rebooting some more, and viola! When I told the computer to reboot once more before trying to install the applications it worked like a charm! Not the perfect solution but close enough :)

Thanks again!

/J

• Marked as answer by JoSvWiBr Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

i would suggest looking for events in event log indicating installation failure. Some application installers check resuirements (like: not another application installed that still resuires reboot -> join domain?).

You could add some debug info to your batch/vbs file (to monitor whether the script part actually runs).

Also if the installations are .msi packages (or setup.exe with msi) you could log the instalaltion(s) to find where things go wrong. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

In my experience, in deploymt, you can never reboot too much, only too little!!!

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Monday, September 19, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi SenneVL!

Thanks alot for your reply. I viewed the installation logs and got the awesome error message: "This software is not supported on this hardware" (or something like that), and that's all.

I did, however, take your advice on rebooting some more, and viola! When I told the computer to reboot once more before trying to install the applications it worked like a charm! Not the perfect solution but close enough :)

Thanks again!

/J

• Marked as answer by JoSvWiBr Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:44 PM