none
Error - Failed to create SPSite when recreating Project Web App 2010 site RRS feed

• Question

• I copied databases to a new Project 2010 instance.  The site completed provisioning the first time but no projects were showing in the Project Center, et cetera.  (Yes, I checked that I used the correct databases.)  Therefore, I tried to delete the site and rerun it via CA.  Instead of immediately getting the message "The Project Web App Site path is invalid. Correct path and try again", the provisioning started but failed with this error in the ULS log (replaced actual project name with Proj_Name):

Failed to create SPSite for Farm01 - Web - 1444 - PROD:Proj_Name System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The site with the id 4045b38a-d88c-4f93-a304-9408512e58bd could not be found.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(Guid id, SPFarm farm, SPUrlZone zone, SPUserToken userToken)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(Guid id)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.GetSiteList(SPUrlZone urlZone)    0603e703-c0b9-49b9-b081-a2f6a09ed40d

When I ran the SharePoint PowerShell commands to get the site ID, I found that it does exist, somewhere:

PublishedDatabase           : ProjectDatabase Name=Proj_Name_Published
    VersionsDatabase            : ProjectDatabase Name=Proj_Name_Archive
    WorkingDatabase             : ProjectDatabase Name=Proj_Name_Draft
    ReportingDatabase           : ProjectDatabase Name=Proj_Name_Reporting
    EventHandlers               : Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Schema.EventHandlersDataSet
    CachedEventHandlers         : Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Schema.EventHandlersDataSet
    EventHandlersVersion        : bdbf6270-82b1-4f9e-b905-2755b5d9768b
    WebAppId                    : 365946b3-120d-4508-b9c4-a1a275ea61b4
    SiteId                      : 4045b38a-d88c-4f93-a304-9408512e58bd
    Admin Name:  <redacted>
    ProvisionStatusText         : Provisioning job finished successfully. (Really?)
    Provisioned                 : True
    PostProvisionIncomplete     : False
    ReportCenterProvisioned     : True
    CanRenameOnRestore          : False
    CanSelectForBackup          : True
    CanSelectForRestore         : True
    DiskSizeRequired            : 0
    Name                        : Farm01 - Web - 1444 - PROD:Proj_Name
    CanUpgrade                  : True
    IsBackwardsCompatible       : True
    NeedsUpgradeIncludeChildren : True
    NeedsUpgrade                : True
    UpgradeContext              : Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeContext
    TypeName                    : Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProjectSite
    DisplayName                 : 4045b38a-d88c-4f93-a304-9408512e58bd
    Id                          : bcc53500-38cd-47d3-b670-3e6f19be37dd
    Status                      : Online
    Parent                      : PsiServiceApplication Name=Farm01 - PSSA - 1444 -PROD
    Version                     : 26960
    Properties                  : {}
    Farm                        : SPFarm Name=Farm01_ConfigDB
    UpgradedPersistedProperties : {}

How can I cleanly recreate the Project Web App site? 

DDV

• Edited by AvivaX Friday, March 16, 2012 10:03 PM Clarification
    Friday, March 16, 2012 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you managed to get a PWA instance, even if there were no Projects, then the provision completed sucessfully. It sounds like there are two issues:

1. The above indicates you may have deleted the PWA instance incorrectly, check out http://epmsource.com/2011/05/31/common-errors-when-a-pwa-site-is-deleted-incorrectly/ for details on how to recover this.

2. If you are moving the existing DB's to a new server,  you have two options, a 5 DB restore (4x PS, 1xSP that includes the PWA site and potentially sites) or a 4 DB restore (4 xPS). Verify that whichever you did when you provisioned the PWA instance that you had exactly the same database names as those restored. If these are different the PWA instance may create it's own which will be empty.

Finally, if you are sure the db's were named correctly on the PWA create, check the security / views and filters to make sure there is no config in the PWA instance hiding the projects from you.

Let us know how you go.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

• Marked as answer by AvivaX Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:13 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you managed to get a PWA instance, even if there were no Projects, then the provision completed sucessfully. It sounds like there are two issues:

1. The above indicates you may have deleted the PWA instance incorrectly, check out http://epmsource.com/2011/05/31/common-errors-when-a-pwa-site-is-deleted-incorrectly/ for details on how to recover this.

2. If you are moving the existing DB's to a new server,  you have two options, a 5 DB restore (4x PS, 1xSP that includes the PWA site and potentially sites) or a 4 DB restore (4 xPS). Verify that whichever you did when you provisioned the PWA instance that you had exactly the same database names as those restored. If these are different the PWA instance may create it's own which will be empty.

Finally, if you are sure the db's were named correctly on the PWA create, check the security / views and filters to make sure there is no config in the PWA instance hiding the projects from you.

Let us know how you go.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

• Marked as answer by AvivaX Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:13 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:39 AM
  • I had accidentally swapped out my SQL scripts - one was to create a new set of five databases and the other was to restore the existing set of five databases.  They've since been renamed correctly.  :-)

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

DDV

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:15 PM