Office 2010 KMS in W7x64 bite First time installed RRS feed

• Question

1. I would like to Installed Office 2010 from Manufacture with KMS key
    2. Windows 7 x64 Home Professional
    3. Windows Client: VL - Windows 7 Professional

Name: Windows(R) Home Premium Edition                                                               Description: Windows(R)7 OEM_SLP Channel
    Partial Product Key: 4Letters & 1 Number
    Licens Status: Licensed

Install and activate a KMS key on a Windows 7
    *To install a KMS key, type "slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>" at a command prompt.

I also I read, I can use both MAK and KMS for activating systems to activate your computers, depending on the needs of your environment.
    Question:
    Do I needed to Installed "KB968912"
    2nd. Step:
    All you need to do is run "slmgr -ipk <PRODUCT KEY>"
    3rd Step:
    and then "slmgr -ato" on the KMS Office 2010

& will be able to install Channel B Key and not the Channel C key.
    When can I see these command option above nor when  do I  have to chose, Or what letter should I chose?
    If I miss any Information please let me know, or I can post Image as well.
    Please let me know how can I help my self to Install Office 2010 by being Pre-Installed in Laptop by Manufactory
    Thank you very much for you'r support, tutorial & Time
    Art M

Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

KMS for Windows KMSclients, and KMS for Office KMSclients, can be co-hosted upon the same KMShost, depending upon the OS of the machine you wish to use for the KMShost.

WindowsServer2008 OS cannot be KMShost for Office. (WS2008 is not suitable, but WS2008R2 is suitable)

Further, for KMShost/KMSclient, the product (Windows and/or Office) needs to be a suitable Volume Licensing edition of the product, e.g. Windows7Pro (not Home Premium), Office2010ProPlus or Office2010Standard.

From your example, your Windows7 seems to be Windows7 Home Premium OEM_SLP channel (this is not a Volume Licensing edition).

KB968912 is a hotfix/update to allow WS2008 to act as KMShost for Win7/WS2008R2, which is fine, but cannot function as KMShost for Office2010.

You mentioned "Pre-Installed by Manufacturer", do you mean a custom image which you have constructed and supplied to the manufacturer? Or do you mean the factory pre-install, constructed by the hardware manufacture of the computer hardware?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:45 PM
  • YOU SAY:
    KB968912 is a hotfix/update to allow WS2008 to act as KMShost for Win7/WS2008R2, which is fine, but cannot function as KMShost for Office2010.

**********************************************************************************

This is Good for me, I do have an option!

**********************************************************************************
    YOU SAY:
    Pre- Installed By Toshiba Qosmio, But I can always use Office 2010 If I needed to!
    KMShost for Office. (WS2008 is not suitable, but WS2008R2 is suitable)
    Can I sue follow command Than:
    Install and activate a KMS key on a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 computer by using an elevated command prompt:
        To install a KMS key, type slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey> at a command prompt.
        To activate online, type slmgr.vbs /ato at a command prompt.
        To activate by using the telephone, type slui.exe 4 at a command prompt.
        After activating the KMS key, restart the Software Protection Service.
    YOU SAY:
    KMS for Windows KMSclients, and KMS for Office KMSclients, can be co-hosted upon the same KMShost, depending upon the OS of the machine you wish to use for the KMShost.

I found these  browsing:

Can I use both MAK and KMS for activating systems in my organization?

Yes. As a Volume Licensing customer, you can use a KMS hosted activation service and/or MAKs to activate your computers, depending on the needs of your environment.

Thank you for Taking your time, and looking in my interest!
    Art M
    Yes It's Windows 7 x64 Bite Home Premium OEM

• Edited by squirtmph Monday, November 18, 2013 10:11 PM Information
    Monday, November 18, 2013 10:01 PM
  • KMS product key for Windows products, comes in two types:

a) KMShost product key for Windows. This is used by you to setup your KMShost. 
    a KMShost will issue activations to requesting KMSclient machines.

b) KMSclient product key for Windows products. This is used by you on the client computers, it will "discover" your KMShost machine, and the KMSclient computer will request activation from your KMShost machine.

Or, you can use MAK product key for Windows products.
    a machine configured with MAK product key for Windows will not contact your KMShost.
    You can use some machines with KMSHost/KMSclient, and some other machines with MAK.

Only some types of Windows products are suitable for KMS.
    Windows 7 Home Premium is not suitable to use with KMShost/KMSclient.
    Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Enterprise, are suitable for KMS.

-=-=-=-=-

Office KMS is similar, but a little different, to Windows KMS.
    Office2010Standard, and, Office2010ProfessionalPlus, are suitable for OfficeKMS.
    Office2010Professional is a different product to Office2010ProfessionalPlus.

For Windows KMShost/KMSclient, you must have at least 25 machines if the OS is Windows7. (if less machines, KMShost/KMSclient will not activate)

For Office KMShost/KMSclient, you must have at least 5 machines.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Noel D Paton Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Before I start, thank you for such fine response to me!
    KMS product key for Windows products, comes in two types:
    By this Option what command should I use:
    1.KMS key, type slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey> at a command prompt
    Office 2010 KMS Activation
    2.x64 Bit Clients:(Where kms.domaina.com is the FQDN of the KMS server)
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /sethst:kms.domaina.com
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act
    3.Activate by using the telephone, type slui.exe 4 at a command prompt
    Witch I dont wanted to do it by phone, would be my last option

b) KMSclient product key for Windows products. This is used by you on the client computers, it will "discover" your KMShost machine, and the KMSclient computer will request activation from your KMShost machine.
    a machine configured with MAK product key for Windows will not contact your KMShost.
    You can use some machines with KMSHost/KMSclient, and some other machines with MAK.
    Since I have KEY with me this could be another good option as well
    But I belive I neededt to Installed (Microsoft Office 201 KMS Host License Pack)
    and Run by CMD
    end enter Key #

Only some types of Windows products are suitable for KMS.
    Windows 7 Home Premium is not suitable to use with KMShost/KMSclient.
    Again this option support Server 2008 R2, Correct!

Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Enterprise, are suitable for KMS.
    Office KMS is similar, but a little different, to Windows KMS.
    Office2010Standard, and, Office2010 ProfessionalPlus
    Yes what I Intend to Installed is : Office 2010 Professional version

are suitable for OfficeKMS.

For Windows KMShost/KMSclient, you must have at least 25 machines if the OS is Windows7. (if less machines, KMShost/KMSclient will not activate)

For Office KMShost/KMSclient, you must have at least 5 machines.

Am Looking forward for you response!
    Art M

• Edited by squirtmph Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:37 PM Bold:You
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:34 PM
  • KMS product key for Windows products, comes in two types:
    By this Option what command should I use:
    1.KMS key, type slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey> at a command prompt
    Office 2010 KMS Activation

2.x64 Bit Clients:(Where kms.domaina.com is the FQDN of the KMS server)
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /sethst:kms.domaina.com
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act

3.Activate by using the telephone, type slui.exe 4 at a command prompt
    Witch I dont wanted to do it by phone, would be my last option

For (1):
    please do not confuse Windows KMS activation with Office KMS activation :)
    Windows license activation is a different activity from Office license activation.
    Windows needs to be activated, and separately, Office needs to be activated.
    On the KMShost machine, always/only use slmgr.vbs.
    On the KMSclient machine, for the Windows activation, use slmgr.vbs.
    On the KMSclient machine, for the Office activation, use ospp.vbs.

For KMSclient, never use telephone activation (it will never work).
    [a KMSclient cannot be activated by telephone in any scenario]

Don

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:38 AM
  • b) KMSclient product key for Windows products. This is used by you on the client computers, it will "discover" your KMShost machine, and the KMSclient computer will request activation from your KMShost machine.
    Since I have KEY with me this could be another good option as well
    But I belive I neededt to Installed (Microsoft Office 201 KMS Host License Pack)
    and Run by CMD
    end enter Key #

For (b):
    to establish a KMShost for Office2010, yes, you must install the "KMS Host License Pack" upon your KMShost machine. This "pack" installs alongside any Windows product key upon that machine.
    Your Office KMShost machine can be only Office KMShost, or, it can be also a Windows KMShost (it is your choice).
    Be careful not to confuse the WindowsKMShost product key, with the OfficeKMShost product key.

Don

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Office2010Standard, and, Office2010 ProfessionalPlus
    Yes what I Intend to Installed is : Office 2010 Professional version

are suitable for OfficeKMS.

Caution!

Office2010Professional is *NOT* suitable for KMS.

For KMS, the edition must be Office2010ProfessionalPlus, or, Office2010Standard !

Don

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:47 AM
  •   Okay here is what I come to learn so far from you, now what would be my best Option, please?
    To activate an Office 2010 KMS host on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
    1.On the  Microsoft Office 2010 KMS ( Download, Installed)
    2.When prompted, enter your KMS host key.
    3.When prompted, continue with the activation. If your KMS host does not have an Internet connection
    If you have a firewall enabled, follow these steps to enable KMS through the firewall:

a.In Control Panel, open Windows Firewall.
        b.Click the Allow a program through Windows Firewall link.
        c.Click the Change Settings button.
        d.Select the Key Management Service check box, and then click OK.
    -------------------------------------------
    Manually install the Office 2010 KMS host key and activate
    1.The slmgr.vbs script
    2.slmgr.vbs /ipk <Office 2010 KMS host key>
    3.slmgr.vbs /ato <Office 2010 activation
    4.ID is bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864.

What is your Input by using this other option as well by using both seem to be almost the same:
    a.Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) 2.0
    b.KMS Host for Office 2010 Volume Activation
    System requirement are: W7,Windows Server 2008 R2
    May be is more complicated, from above!

Visio 2010 is preinstalled with the Visio Premium 2010 KMS client key
    ospp.vbs

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Here is What I come to not  quite undarstand the proccess:
    On the KMShost machine, always/only use slmgr.vbs.
    On the KMSclient machine, for the Windows activation, use slmgr.vbs.

P.S.Thank you very much for Individually post you have posted, am quite sure can help many PPL like my self.

Art M
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Thank you Don For you're fin response I also post some of the process for other ppl like my self

to see it, and can giving me better point of view.

Again any other fine suggestion you would like to share please?

Art M

Friday, November 22, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Thank you Don For you're fin response I also post some of the process for other ppl like my self

to see it, and can giving me better point of view.

Again any other fine suggestion you would like to share please?

Art M

discussions about Windows activation, KMS, etc are frequent in several forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w8itproinstall
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserver8setup
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=itprovistaactivation
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itproinstall
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverManagement
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservergen

For Office activation, KMS, etc:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officesetupdeployprevious
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=officesetupdeploy

And there is a lot of documentation in TechNet Library:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831612.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee705504.aspx

Don

Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:47 AM