Project Web Access 2010 - My Tasks Grid Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

The JS Grid on My Tasks Page on PWA loads very slowly.

We have approx. 40 projects on Project Server.

Clicking on My Tasks page, the JS Grid which is listing all assignments for the current user

waits 30-40 seconds (loading screen) and then shows up.

I think this much of waiting time is not an expected situation.

What might be the problem?

I appreciate any ideas shared.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi, we have received confirmation from Microsoft that they have been able to reproduce the issue. The last update is that they are discussing how to best resolve this with the SQL Server group. We still do not know when a fix will be released.

BTW: Have you tried to ensure that the table indexes are frequently rebuilt? This can improve the response in some cases.

Regards, Stig
    Monday, November 22, 2010 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hello opethema

The bottleneck of why your performance is slow, is going to require you to look at many different areas. 

It could be any of the following, SQL Server, the Windows Server, Project Server and/or SharePoint servers my be overloaded.  The network DNS is not setup properly. The hardware could be failing.

The following link is specific to project server 2007, but it is pretty much true for 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7d2619c1-7c97-48e3-9e8f-1675fe8c7d55

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff646967.aspx

Cheers

Michael Wharton

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

But this is not an ordinary performance problem i think, because the project center, the resource center, view availability pages

(selecting many people to test) works very well (no loading screens which is lasting over 3 seconds). But the only problem is in the

my tasks page, the page is loading but not the js grid, grid is waiting for 40 seconds.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Leverage the SP 2010 Developer Dashboard capability to troubleshoot the page load: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrisfie/archive/2010/01/29/why-sharepoint-2010-developer-dashboard-is-for-all-it-professionals.aspx

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I still could not find any solution, any more ideas?
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Have you tried with the August CU?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:08 AM
  • We are also seeing the issue that the Tasks page, and that only, is taken up to 45 seconds to load. Performance otherwise on the server is very good (large queries runs good). We have searched the descritpion for all the CUs, but in none of them is mentioned any fix to performance issues. The August CU only lists multi-language fixes. Would there be changes in these that are not listed in the KB articles?
    Regards, Stig
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:32 PM
  • For info:
    We have identified that one of the queries run when opening the task page is badly designed. By adding a filter on the resource id the execution time of this goes down from 38 seconds to less than 1 second. We have logged this to Microsoft and are waiting for an answer on whether this has been fixed in one of the cumulative updates or if they can create a hot-fix for this.

Regards, Stig
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:24 PM
  • For info:
    We have identified that one of the queries run when opening the task page is badly designed. By adding a filter on the resource id the execution time of this goes down from 38 seconds to less than 1 second. We have logged this to Microsoft and are waiting for an answer on whether this has been fixed in one of the cumulative updates or if they can create a hot-fix for this.

Regards, Stig

Hello Mr Stig,

Is there any progress on the issue?

We still have the problem which the load time is nearly over than 60 seconds..

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Hi, we have received confirmation from Microsoft that they have been able to reproduce the issue. The last update is that they are discussing how to best resolve this with the SQL Server group. We still do not know when a fix will be released.

BTW: Have you tried to ensure that the table indexes are frequently rebuilt? This can improve the response in some cases.

Regards, Stig
    Monday, November 22, 2010 12:58 PM

Regards, Stig

Hello,

Besides the long lasting loading time, we have some people who cannot access the page itself. It says: an unknown error has occurred.

And how can i ensure that the table indexes are frequently rebuilt?

By the way, is the query which has problem is this?

SET NOCOUNT ON

SELECT 
      MAS.ASSN_UID , 
      MAS.PROJ_UID 
    INTO #T0 
    FROM dbo.MSP_ASSIGNMENTS_SAVED AS MAS 
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_PROJECTS AS MP ON MP.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_TASKS_SAVED AS T ON T.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID AND T.TASK_UID = MAS.TASK_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES AS R ON R.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID AND R.RES_UID = MAS.RES_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R2 ON R2.RES_UID = R.RES_DEF_ASSN_OWNER
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R3 ON R3.RES_UID = MAS.RES_UID_OWNER
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R4 ON R4.RES_UID = MAS.WRES_UID_MANAGER
    WHERE MAS.WASSN_LOCKDOWN_BY_MANAGER = 0AND T.TASK_IS_ACTIVE = 1 AND ( (MAS.RES_UID_OWNER = '7AB685E1-DDAC-4A40-8E0F-158CA92E25A7') ) 
    CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX PK_#T0 ON #T0 (ASSN_UID, PROJ_UID)

SET NOCOUNT OFF

SELECT 
      MAS.ASSN_UID , 
      MAS.PROJ_UID , 
      MAS.TASK_NAME , 
      ABASE.AB_BASE_START AS AB_BASE_START_0 , 
      ABASE.AB_BASE_FINISH AS AB_BASE_FINISH_0 , 
      MAS.ASSN_START_DATE , 
      MAS.ASSN_FINISH_DATE , 
      ASSN_WORK , 
      ASSN_REM_WORK , 
      MAS.ASSN_PCT_WORK_COMPLETE , 
      ASSN_ACT_WORK , 
      MAS.TASK_UID , 
      PROJ_NAME , 
      WASSN_IS_NEW_ASSN , 
      MAS.WASSN_REMOVED_BY_RES , 
      case when exists ( select * from MSP_ASSIGNMENT_TRANSACTIONS t where MAS.ASSN_UID = t.ASSN_UID and t.ASSN_TRANS_STATE_ENUM = 1) then 1 else 0 end AS ASSN_RESPONSE_PENDING , 
      MAS.WASSN_MGR_UPDATED , 
      MAS.WASSN_ACTUALS_PENDING , 
      MAS.WASSN_SEND_UPDATE_NEEDED , 
      MAS.WASSN_LOCKDOWN_BY_MANAGER , 
      MAS.WASSN_DELETED_IN_PROJ , 
      MAS.WASSN_COMMENTS , 
      R.RES_NAME , 
      T.TASK_IS_MILESTONE , 
      WASSN_UPDATE_TRACKING_MODE , 
      T.TASK_NOTES , 
      T.TASK_IS_MANUAL , 
      T.TASK_HIERARCHY , 
      T.TASK_DUR_TXT , 
      T.TASK_FINISH_TXT , 
      T.TASK_START_TXT , 
      MAS.TASK_IS_SUMMARY , 
      WO.WOBJ_UID , 
      MP.PROJ_OPT_MINUTES_PER_DAY , 
      MP.PROJ_OPT_MINUTES_PER_WEEK , 
      MP.PROJ_OPT_DAYS_PER_MONTH , 
      MP.PROJ_OPT_CURRENCY_CODE , 
      MAS.ASSN_STOP_DATE , 
      T.TASK_IS_SUBPROJ , 
      T.TASK_IS_ACTIVE , 
      T.TASK_START_DATE , 
      T.TASK_FINISH_DATE , 
      T.TASK_DUR , 
      MAS.RES_UID , 
      R.RES_MATERIAL_LABEL , 
      R.RES_TYPE , 
      ASSN_UPDATE_NEEDED 
    FROM dbo.MSP_ASSIGNMENTS_SAVED AS MAS 
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_PROJECTS AS MP ON MP.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_TASKS_SAVED AS T ON T.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID AND T.TASK_UID = MAS.TASK_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_PROJECT_RESOURCES AS R ON R.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID AND R.RES_UID = MAS.RES_UID
      INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R2 ON R2.RES_UID = R.RES_DEF_ASSN_OWNER
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R3 ON R3.RES_UID = MAS.RES_UID_OWNER
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_RESOURCES AS R4 ON R4.RES_UID = MAS.WRES_UID_MANAGER
      INNER JOIN #T0 AS keys ON keys.ASSN_UID = MAS.ASSN_UID AND keys.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_ASSIGNMENT_BASELINES AS ABASE ON ABASE.PROJ_UID = MAS.PROJ_UID AND ABASE.ASSN_UID = MAS.ASSN_UID AND ABASE.AB_BASE_NUM = 0
      LEFT JOIN dbo.MSP_WEB_OBJECTS AS WO ON WO.WOBJ_PROJ_UID = T.PROJ_UID AND WO.WOBJ_TASK_UID = T.TASK_PUBLISHED_UID AND WO.WOBJ_TYPE = 2
    WHERE MAS.WASSN_LOCKDOWN_BY_MANAGER = 0AND T.TASK_IS_ACTIVE = 1

DROP TABLE #T0;
    @ResUid uniqueidentifier,@ViewUid uniqueidentifier,@P0 uniqueidentifier',@ResUid='987CD639-8954-4CA2-AD16-602D265549EA',@ViewUid='A20480EF-C755-4DA7-A36F-5FE92FED0C68',@P0='987CD639-8954-4CA2-AD16-602D265549EA'

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:15 AM
  • That is indeed the query they are looking at. Exactly why it performs so badly is not known yet.

Rebuilding the indexes on a regular basis is best done with a SQL Server Maintenance Plan.

Regards, Stig
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:54 AM
  • That is indeed the query they are looking at. Exactly why it performs so badly is not known yet.

Rebuilding the indexes on a regular basis is best done with a SQL Server Maintenance Plan.

Regards, Stig

Hi,

How often should the indexes be rebuilt? Every day, every week or what?

And which indexes should be rebuilt? All the indexes in the ProjectServer_Publised ?

Thanks.

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I'm not an SQL expert that can explain this to you. Go to the SQL Server forums if you are unsure of how this is done.
    Regards, Stig
    Monday, November 29, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I'm not an SQL expert that can explain this to you. Go to the SQL Server forums if you are unsure of how this is done.
    Regards, Stig

Ok, thanks.

Please leave a message in here, when you get a feedback from MS.

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:57 PM
    Regards, Stig
    Hi, is there any progress about the issue?
    Friday, December 24, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Just that it is confirmed as an issue and a fix is scheduled to come. No dates given.
    Regards, Stig
    Monday, December 27, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Are there any news regarding this issue? Is it already fixed?

Regards,

Vygantas

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:57 PM
  • We have not gotten any confirmation that this is fixed yet, so we assume it is still in the pipe-line.

Regards, Stig
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Any idea on the timing of this fix.  After frustration and research, I realize we have also run into this problem and waiting a minute or more for this page to refresh every time it is accessed is quickly turning off users.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Here is my solution: Rebuild all of the indexes for the tables in ProjectServer_Published database.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Just a quick update:

It does not seem like there will be a fix upcoming for this. As the problem only seems to occur when the databases are not optimal (indexes, statistics) Microsoft feels that it is not justified to fix the query (which has some risk). It will instead be up to us to ensure that the database server is optimized.

So talk to your database administrator and ensure that optimization is done as often as possible.

Regards, Stig
    • Proposed as answer by Denaun Monday, June 6, 2011 3:58 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:05 AM
  • And something more: If you have any scheduled task to publish all the projects automatically, this problem will happen more likely.

Because every auto publish to all projects ruin the Project Server databases (index fragmentation).

So, in any case, you had better to schedule a maintenance plan on Project Server database, to rebuild all indexes and update statistics.

• Proposed as answer by Ronni10 Friday, December 27, 2013 12:25 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:46 PM
  • I have tried many things to fix this issue and found that My Tasks loads so slow only if I include base fields for tasks or assignments... Still have this issue unfixed..
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:58 PM